Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Batch bottle cleaning - is there a better way??

Old 10-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
Wester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Batch bottle cleaning - is there a better way??

Just wondering if anyone has a better/quicker way to clean 40 or 50 bottles to get them ready for bottling?

I clean off the label and rinse out all my bottles after using them so in theory they are cleaned but not sterilized. Then I sterilize + rinse each one individually before filling. Not too bad when I'm using 500ml bottles but when using 330ml bottle it gets a bit tedious and I'm wondering if there is a quicker and easier way out there. I thought about using my dishwasher but the max temp it gets to is 65 degrees.

Thanks.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If you're using starsan or Iodophor (however the hell it's spelled) you can dunk them, swirl and let them drip dry. They only need 2 minutes of contact time and you do not need to rinse them. They also make a vinator some people use as a really fast sanitation method.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Wester
Recipes 

Hmmm...unfortionatly I'm using VWP Cleanser and have just bought a big tub of it! Everything needs to be rinsed after sterilizing.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 51

My vote is for starsan. I will be getting a vinnator very soon to make bottling even faster.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
Wester
Recipes 

I've been reading though other posts about this and I think I've a solution to speed it up slightly. Because the bottles are cleaned/rinsed after use I just have to sanitize them before bottling. So I plan on soaking them in a large sink in the back porch in a sterilizing solution for a while before bottling then I can decide to rinse them all in the dishwasher at once or give them all a quick rinse one at a time just before bottling....we'll see how I go as I plan on bottling 23l tonight!

Old 10-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Give them a run through the dishwasher to clean out the cleanser. Pull them from the dw one-by-one as you bottle.

Brent

Old 10-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I would be tempted to skip the VWP, go buy a vinator and some starsan. Once you have rinsed em after emptying, just store em until ready to use..... hit em on the vinator and fill.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
dezman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used to fill the sink with water and sanitizer and just sink the bottles in the water. then pull them out as needed.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
spazzy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I usually put mine through an autoclave on campus. (one of the perks of being a microbiology student). This summer I wasn't on campus and used a dishwasher with sanitary cycle it worked fine.

65C is only about 150 F so I wouldnt depend on your dishwasher.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
janivar123
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You dont have beer cases there?
Here I have cut the top of a regular plastic beer case and put another half on top
Makes it easy to rinse 1 case at the time

Here is a simpler version of what im talking abouthttp://norbrygg.no/forum/index.php/t....html#msg46142