American Pale Ale Nierra Sevada (Session SNPA Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone made this without using a secondary? Like... Primary for a week then stick primary in fridge to cold crash for a couple days, then rack to keg or bottle. How about skipping the cold crash and just extending the primary?

gungadin - I've been doing primary only for this beer. I give it about 4 days then add my dry hops addition and then try and warm it up a little bit at about 7 days for a diacetyl rest. I usually cold crash it at about day 9 or so and keep it in the fridge for a day or two. From there it goes into the keg. It's been turning out very well each time I've brewed it.

Cheers,
School Master

I just let it sit in the primary at 66-68 for two weeks. No cold crash, no diacetyl rest, nothing. Drop 'er in the keg and throw in a bag of whole Cascades for a nice dry hop aroma. Clear as a bell, tastes great.

Going to brew this one.
Just wondering which yeast would suit this recipe better notty or s-05?
Also would amarillo or chinook be good substitute for perle

So, I set out to make this recipe exactly and ended up making some slight adjustments while at the LHBS.

7.5 lb 2 row
.5 lb crystal 60L
.5 oz Magnum (60 min)
2 oz Cascade (.5 @ 30, 15, 5, 0)
1 oz Cascade Dry Hop
S-05 yeast
5 oz priming sugar

2 week primary, 1 week secondary with dry hop

O.G. 1.042
F.G. 1.006

It just went in the bottle on Sunday, the hydro sample was full of citrus/grapefruit and very tasty. Can't wait.

Bringing my wort up to a boil currently.

This is my 3rd ever all grain batch and 4th ever batch.

For a 5 gallon batch I did...

8lbs 2 row
0.5lbs Cara-Pils
0.5lbs Crystal -65L (LHBS didn't have -60)
1oz Pearle 60min
0.5 Cascade 15min
0.5 Cascade 10min
0.5 Cascade 5min
1 whirlfloc tablet 10 mins (Will this help with clarity any? Reason you don't do something like this?)

I BIAB mashed for 140 for 15mins then 154 for 60mins.

I plan on dry hopping with 1 oz of Cascade.

Thanks for the recipe BierMuncher! :mug:

Super excited my OG was 1.044 pretty close to the Original Gravity: 1.046 from the recipe. That is the closest I have been to what a recipe called for so far!:ban:

I ended up adding an extra 0.5oz of cascade at about 2 mins. I had 2oz of cascade in a single bag and it was hard to want to put away 0.5oz back into the freezer.

Now I will have to decide if I want to still dry hop it or not.

BierMuncher, do you add any irish moss or the likings to this? If so/no why?

hopplease I know you posted this a month ago with no response. I have done this one a couple times and was grabbing the recipe for a trip to get the goodies to do batch number 3. I have done 5 gallon batches. I halved the original ingredients and added an extra lb of 2 row to kick it up a bit. I also added the extra .5 oz at 2 min for both batches and was quite pleased with the results. I wouldn't dry hop it. Comes out too perfect.

This may have been posted, but per their (SN) website:

alcohol content 5.6% by volume yeast Top-fermenting Ale Yeast
beginning gravity 13.0 Plato bittering hops Magnum & Perle
ending gravity 4.0 Plato finishing hops Cascade
bitterness units 37 malts Two-row Pale & Caramel

I know this recipe isn't to clone the beer, but is inspired by it....

Rut roh. Brewed this last Saturday. Had it fermenting in my temp controlled conical at 64 all week despite it being close to 100 in the garage.

Today we've got ourselves a brown out. I don't know how quickly the temp is going to rise as it is insulated pretty well, but I also have no clue how long it will take them to get power back on. I should be through the bulk of the fermentation, so I guess the slight rise will just wake up some yeast and it's going to finish with a slightly lower fg than intended, it's just a matter of how warm it will get. Used us-05 btw

Brewed the extract this monday, (8/1/11) with the addition of the munich. recipe was:
7# pale LME
1#munich
.5# each: carapils/car60L
1oz perle (70m)
.5 (x3) cascade at 15, 10, &5
wyeast 1056

bubbling away today. Tough to keep it cool though. with the high predicted at 114 today... smell out of the airlock is intoxicating. Can't wait!

I did 10 gal of this. 5 on 05 and 5 on 1056. I think dry hopping is really the key to this beer. I used .5 lbs of cascade. This is a great beer with a little hop after taste. Good job!

i'm drinking this beer right now. munich is a wonderful addition, Dry hopped 7 days with a whole ounce of cascade. This brew is mindblowing, perfect balance. All my friends think i'm a virtuoso. Good recipe BM, like all of yours.

This is one of my first biab's that I did two days ago, I scaled down the grain to 5 gallons but forgot to scale down the hops, Doh!! Oh well, I guess I will have a very hoppy low abv IPA!

And my volume came in low, about 4.5gal... I'm debating boiling 1.5gal of water with a couple pounds of dme and adding it to even it out. Thoughts?

If your og is on target I would add nothing just let it go at 4.5 gal. As for the hops , I aid taste it before deciding to dry hop. Just my thoughts. This is a wonderful homebrew to make.

Brewed this a bunch, ive started upping late additions and stopped dryhopping. I find it to work just as well. If dryhopping do in bag with cascade.

Had been awhile since tasting a SNPA, so I bought some this weekend then I found this thread ...

This is my next brew, for sure...Thanks!

I would like to make the 5 gallon all grain version of this recipe but I am out of carapils and there is no LBHS within a reasonable drive. Thus, which of the following might be the best substitution fo missing 1/2 of carapils?

1) use 1/2 lb of flaked wheat for the missing carapils?
2) use 1 lb of crystal 60 instead of 1/2 lb 60 and 1/2 lb carapils?
3) use 1 lb of crystal 40 instead pf 1/2 lb carapils and 1/2 lbs 60?
4) any suggestions?

I really want to get this made this weekend because with toddler kids I get very few days to do a full all-grain brew so I don't want to order and wait for more carapils to come.

Exactly. My SN clone - a little bigger than this and using Cascade + Amarillo - uses 12 oz of Crystal + base malt (I use MO or Golden Promise.)

BierMuncher strikes again with Nierra Sevada!!!! Another killer recipe. My first AG was his superb centennial blonde. I highly recommend his centennial for someone just making the switch from extract.

Just took a reading and tasted this beer after 2 weeks in primary. Beer is finished (US-05). Tastes great coming out of primary. I expect it will be drinking like a beauty by the 25th.....that was the plan.

Thanks BierMuncher for another great one! SWMBO slayer next.

Earlier, there was a question about doing extract in about a 2.5 gallon boil. I didn't see results from the conversion for steeping grains and hop additions. Anyone do an extract brew in a 2.5 gallon boil for a 5 gallon total batch that has a successful recipe?

Just brewed my first all grain brew with your recipe.

Everything went great, hit 1.042 for the OG, just short of your 1.046.

My efficiency was 69%, for my first AG batch I'm not too upset with that, especially since I'm doing no sparge BIAB.

See you in two months, but I cant wait to taste this. :ban:

How quickly can this be ready to drink? I'm taking a week off to go hang out in the mountains in a month, and would like to bring a good pale ale up to keep us company.

If I brew this over the weekend will it be ready in 4 weeks?

Just brewed 5 gallons of this tonight. Gravity came in closer to 1040, but I don't think my water measurements were super accurate along the way. Looking forward to tasting it in a few weeks.

Back