Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Nierra Sevada (Session SNPA Clone)

Old 07-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #191
DrunkCanuck73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I named it Nierra Sevada because it is essentially an SNPA clone recipe that I tried to explain to some friends and after a few pints of one of my other homebrews, "nierra sevada" was as close as I could get to pronouncing it.
Sierra Nevada Clone Recipe, SNPA Clone
This is a scaled down ABV version (My First 10-gallon batch) and will yield a nice session APA that is between 4.0-4.5%. I'll post results and pics when we have the final product.

Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.13 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 6.8 SRM
Attachment 1501
Estimated IBU: 37.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes
Total Grain Weight: 17lbs

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Pearle [6.30%] (70 min)
2.00 oz Cascade [7.00%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [7.00%] (5 min)
American Yeast (I used Wyeast #1056)
Mash at 154 degrees (F) for 65 minutes. Batch Sparge at 170 degrees for a pre boil volume of 12 gallons.

Attachment 1877

Tasting Notes: This turned out absolutely fantasic. I hit 4.7% and the taste is slightly less malty than the orignal but the essence of grapefruit is just perfect. I've served it to several non-homebrew friends who do like to try different beers and they agree that it is a fantastic beer. Not a dead-on clone because of the lower malt level, but extremely close. The color is dead on and the bitterness just right. I did a 10-gallon batch . One five gallon keg has only been on the gas for 9 days and already near perfect carb level. The second fiver is sitting in a keg in the basement conditioning naturally (1/2 cup priming sugar). This is a definite brew-over.
Thanks for this. My wife brought me some of this last week while visiting the US. As I live in Canada we cant get SN beers here, and I love the APA, and have been looking to clone this by doing a partial extract. After reading everything here I think I have the recipe I am going to try. Just wanted to thank everyone that posted. Will post results after my summer closing party.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #192
ave8tor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymadigan View Post
When did you take the reading, after the mash at 149 or after the sparge when you added the 170ish water?

1.030 at 130 is a gravity of 1.046, if the temp was after the sparge and higher then the gravity is higher.
Unfortunately, I didn't write down the gravity reading, but it was taken after the sparge. The one I was confused with was the starting fermentation gravity of 1.029. This was taken after the post-boil wort had cooled to approx room temp of 75 degrees.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #193
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave8tor
Took an initial gravity reading immediately after the mash, but I didn't account for the temp. The actual OG going into the fermenter was at around 75F.
Your pre-boil gravity has to be less than your post-boil gravity. You are boiling off water and concentrating the wort sugars. So somewhere your readings are off.

The low OG (1.029) can be caused by any number of things including poor crush, mash temps, your water, mash ph, or inaccurate/uncalibrated measuring tools.

Next time:
compare your crush to other pics in the forum to make sure if is sufficient.
Use spring water (buy from store)-- Or research how the water softener affects the mash.
Pre-heat your mash tun & properly calculate strike water temp, so your mash rests at right temp (you started way too low).
there are probably other tips but keep reading on here & J Palmer and you will get it.

good luck!

edit: Welcome to HBT! (ps a recipe thread is not the best place to get beginner AG help/diagnosis. I'd start a new thread. cheers).

Old 08-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #194
Helly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Finally brewed this again today. Really excited about it.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #195
PerpetualBuzz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I use the grain bill as my pale ale base and just change the hops around. This round is Simcoe, Amarillo and Sorachi Ace.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #196
Helly

Recipes 

Tapped this a few days ago. I brewed with cascade and dry hopped in the keg with citra. SWMBO and I are enjoying it a lot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3053316337.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	150446
BierMuncher Likes This 
Old 11-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #197
Helly

Recipes 

Brewing 10 gallons today but I'm changing up hops slightly to use what I've got in the freezer. Added a little centennial and citra to the boil along with the cascade. Loved it dry hopped with citra last time so I'm thinking of doing one keg that way and not sure on the second one yet.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #198
rjthomas21
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm looking to brew 10G and split it into 2 corny kegs. I'd like to brew one batch according to this recipe but for the other batch somehow tweak it so I can see the difference a change in hops/yeast can make. Does anybody have any recommendations of good variations?

If it is a yeast change, I was planning on brewing all 10G at once. For a hop change, I was thinking of mashing the full amount (12ish G) and then splitting aside 6G to boil separately.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #199
Helly

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjthomas21
I'm looking to brew 10G and split it into 2 corny kegs. I'd like to brew one batch according to this recipe but for the other batch somehow tweak it so I can see the difference a change in hops/yeast can make. Does anybody have any recommendations of good variations? If it is a yeast change, I was planning on brewing all 10G at once. For a hop change, I was thinking of mashing the full amount (12ish G) and then splitting aside 6G to boil separately.
I've done it pretty straight up to this point. Last time I dry hopped in the keg with citra and we loved that. This time if did a mixed hop schedule including centennial and citra for one 10 gallon batch but it's not ready to go yet so I can't report on the results just yet. I'm not sure how a yeast change would go on this one. For me it turns out so clean and crisp with S-05 and I really like that so I'm more inclined to mess with the hop schedule or variety a bit. I'm very interested in what others have to offer though.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #200
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 542

Made 2 extract 5 gallon batches this year. Once in May that was unadjusted or modified and was great for summer (1/2 in keg and 1/2 bottled) the LHBS recommended leaving the Cara-Pils/Dextrine out (no head ).

Brewed it again in November added 8oz of Carafoam (LHBS ran out of Cara-Pils and Dextrine ) and botched the pre-boil volume (post boil was 6.5 gallons instead of 5.5). My original plan was to split the batch 2.5 gallons in keg and Oak the other 2.5 gallons. Turned out fine with fermentation losses, keg got the full 2.5 gallons and oaked the last 3 gallons.

Felt like the aroma and flavor was lacking after 2 weeks in the keg so I dry hopped with 1/4 oz of Cascade and 1/4oz Citra. after 3 days it was pretty good figuring around day 5 to pull the hops out. (love kegs for this reason)

The oaked batch seemed fine (first time adding oak) at taste testing so some carbonation is the last factor (debated a cascade dry hop but did not want to add another variable to this batch).

Drinking: AHA Big Brew Day Pale Ale (5/16/15), Left Hand Milk Stout Clone (a keg that will not die), and Good Beer