Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Nierra Sevada (Session SNPA Clone)

Old 07-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #11
quixotic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just finished....
I had to substitute 1.2oz Goldings for Pearle. Added 0.2 oz Columbus to each Cascade addition also, which brought my IBUs up to 47.5. Looking forward to trying this one. I'll repost when I do.
secondary:oatmeal stout
kegged: marzen
on tap: apfelwein
on tap: Northern Brewer/Vienna SMaSH
on deck: beer

Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 AM   #12
kjones
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I named it Nierra Sevada because it is essentially an SNPA clone recipe that I tried to explain to some friends and after a few pints of one of my other homebrews, "nierra sevada" was as close as I could get to pronouncing it.
Sierra Nevada Clone Recipe, SNPA Clone
This is a scaled down ABV version (My First 10-gallon batch) and will yield a nice session APA that is between 4.0-4.5%. I'll post results and pics when we have the final product.

Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.13 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 6.8 SRM
Attachment 1501
Estimated IBU: 37.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes
Total Grain Weight: 17lbs

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Pearle [6.30%] (70 min)
2.00 oz Cascade [7.00%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [7.00%] (5 min)
American Yeast (I used Wyeast #1056)
Mash at 154 degrees (F) for 65 minutes. Batch Sparge at 170 degrees for a pre boil volume of 12 gallons.

Attachment 1877

Tasting Notes: This turned out absolutely fantasic. I hit 4.7% and the taste is slightly less malty than the orignal but the essence of grapefruit is just perfect. I've served it to several non-homebrew friends who do like to try different beers and they agree that it is a fantastic beer. Not a dead-on clone because of the lower malt level, but extremely close. The color is dead on and the bitterness just right. I did a 10-gallon batch . One five gallon keg has only been on the gas for 9 days and already near perfect carb level. The second fiver is sitting in a keg in the basement conditioning naturally (1/2 cup priming sugar). This is a definite brew-over.
you say the other keg is in the basement conditioning naturally, do you just rack the beer in the keg put in priming sugar and close it? and let it carb like bottles? or do you have to hit it with some co2 to seat the lid or something, the reason i am asking is bc i only have one gas hook up and one dispenser but i have two kegs

Old 08-14-2008, 01:27 AM   #13
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 710 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjones View Post
you say the other keg is in the basement conditioning naturally, do you just rack the beer in the keg put in priming sugar and close it? and let it carb like bottles? or do you have to hit it with some co2 to seat the lid or something, the reason i am asking is bc i only have one gas hook up and one dispenser but i have two kegs
You got it. Prime it (1/2 cup of corn sugar). Hit it with 20PSI and bleed the oxygen out of the corny a few times, disconnect and let it sit at around 70 degrees for 3-4 weeks...just like bottles.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:39 AM   #14
kjones
Recipes 

cool glad to know that, anyways i just ordered your nierra sevada recipe, i have the swmbo slayer ingredients in the fridge gonna brew that this weekend, I cant wait

one more thing that you might know, i ordered some isinglass, too bc i saw something about it in byo in the latest issue if i used insinglass on the beer that i naturally carb will it still have yeast to carb it? and too do i need to secondary the nierra sevada

Old 08-14-2008, 01:53 AM   #15
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
cool glad to know that, anyways i just ordered your nierra sevada recipe, i have the swmbo slayer ingredients in the fridge gonna brew that this weekend, I cant wait

one more thing that you might know, i ordered some isinglass, too bc i saw something about it in byo in the latest issue if i used insinglass on the beer that i naturally carb will it still have yeast to carb it? and too do i need to secondary the nierra sevada
A secondary is a personal choice. I like to use a secondary...but only after the beer has had plenty of time 2-3 weeks in the secondary. The secondary will be beneficial since your bottle priming as well...to further help clarify the beer.

Isinglass is fine to clarify your beer and will not harm the yeast. Even beer that appears perfectly clear in a carboy will still have ample yeast to convert your priming sugar into CO2 and carbonate your bottles. Just be patient.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #16
kjones
Recipes 

Quote:
Just be patient.
That is my biggest problem when it comes to brewing. I need to go on a brewing spree when i have some time off work so I can have more ready, bc i freaking hate waiting.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:51 AM   #17
kjones
Recipes 

Quote:
Safale-05, properly hydrated, will work very well.

If you're looking to get a bit more malty profile, use the Safale-04. It will attenuate a bit less and push up the malt flavor a bit.
I am about to brew this up again tommorow using the safale 05, i usually hydrate but this one says on the pack just sprinkle. I am usually running wide open with the mash and boil and dont usually have the spare time to run inside and sanitize, boil, cool and hydrate yeast. so i thought about sprinkling. and also iwas gonna dry hop this time with some whole cascades i have never dry hopped with whole hops how much do you think i should use.
thanks

Old 11-10-2008, 03:11 AM   #18
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I am about to brew this up again tommorow using the safale 05, i usually hydrate but this one says on the pack just sprinkle. I am usually running wide open with the mash and boil and dont usually have the spare time to run inside and sanitize, boil, cool and hydrate yeast. so i thought about sprinkling. and also iwas gonna dry hop this time with some whole cascades i have never dry hopped with whole hops how much do you think i should use.
thanks
I would dry hop a 5-gallon batch with 1 ounce of cascade. If you feel a little daring, dry hop with 1/2 ounce each of Cascade, Amarillo and Centennial.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #19
kjones
Recipes 

Well i finished up yesterday i only ended up with 3 to 3.5 gallons in the fermentor and i used 7.25 gallons of water total i just don't know where it went i have never had that happen to me before. Oh well. i well i am mashing in the centinniual blond right now

Old 11-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #20
kjones
Recipes 

just got this in the keg 3 days ago. I dont understand why i don't get that bite from the cascade hops. It has been like that for the last 2 pale ales that i have brewed. When i taste it while racking to the keg i can taste the hops, but it seems like when it sits for a couple of days in the keg and gets cold i really cant taste the hops that much anymore. Not like i should for a pale ale. I dont know what has happened maybe next time ill just double the hops or something.