Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Nierra Sevada (Session SNPA Clone)

Old 01-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #121
wittmania
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows69 View Post
Don't forget to dry hop.
"That's what she said." - Michael Scott

I only made 5 gallons, so I ended up with 1 oz. of Perle and 1.5 oz. of Cascade in the boil. I'm planning on dry hopping with the "leftover" half oz. of Cascade in an herb ball in the keg while it's carbbing up. I would normally dry hop in a secondary, but I "need" this ready in time for a ski trip in about 3.5 weeks, so I'm planning on combining the dry hopping and force carbing stages to save some time.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #122
CrookedTail
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts

I ended up brewing a variation of this. I subbed some ingredients with stuff I already had on hand, so it might come out a little different. I had a lot of Belgian Pilsner malt, which I used in place of the two-row pale. I also used Caramunich I instead of Crystal 60.

The hopping schedule basically stayed the same, except I also added an ounce of centennials at flameout. I use centennials in a lot of my beers. Love 'em.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #123
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice let us know how that turns out

Old 01-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #124
CrookedTail
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows69 View Post
Nice let us know how that turns out
Will do. She's bubbling away nicely in the fermenter right now.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #125
CrookedTail
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedTail View Post
I ended up brewing a variation of this. I subbed some ingredients with stuff I already had on hand, so it might come out a little different. I had a lot of Belgian Pilsner malt, which I used in place of the two-row pale. I also used Caramunich I instead of Crystal 60.

The hopping schedule basically stayed the same, except I also added an ounce of centennials at flameout. I use centennials in a lot of my beers. Love 'em.
I racked this to the secondary last week. I added gelatin, but really didn't need it because the beer was super clean. It looks a bit lighter than SNPA, which I guess is due to the different malts that I used.

It also tasted a little different than SNPA. Again the malts used, along with the Centennials that I added at flameout, would cause that. Either way I'm not complaining because it tasted awesome! It was clean, dry, and hoppy...exactly how a pale ale should be IMO.

I'm kegging this in a few days and dry-hopping it with another ounce of Centennials. Based on the color of the sample you could consider this an "extra pale ale." But if it tastes as good carbed and chilled as the sample hinted at, I'm probably going to keep this as my house pale, keeping the malts that I used.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #126
CrookedTail
Recipes 

So the wife, cats and I went up to the mountain cabin for the week, and I brought the keg of this Nierra Sevada-ish brew. I let the cold mountain air cool it overnight, and just cracked her open today. Wow! What a beer! Everything a pale ale should be: crisp, hoppy and refreshing! The Belgian Pilsner malt gave it a flavor that I've never noticed from basic two row malt. I kind of like it.

The US-05 handled this beautifully. It is an excellent APA. Although I may try this again with Belgian yeast as an experiment.

Thank you, Biermuncher. Once again a recipe of yours (whether done exactly as is, or as insipration) has come through in spades!

geoffm33 Likes This 
Old 02-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #127
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 709 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedTail View Post
So the wife, cats and I went up to the mountain cabin for the week, and I brought the keg of this Nierra Sevada-ish brew. I let the cold mountain air cool it overnight, and just cracked her open today. Wow! What a beer! Everything a pale ale should be: crisp, hoppy and refreshing! The Belgian Pilsner malt gave it a flavor that I've never noticed from basic two row malt. I kind of like it.

The US-05 handled this beautifully. It is an excellent APA. Although I may try this again with Belgian yeast as an experiment.

Thank you, Biermuncher. Once again a recipe of yours (whether done exactly as is, or as insipration) has come through in spades!

That beer looks right at home there.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #128
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 36

ah time to go back to an oldie but goodie... 10 gallons tonight!
Tap 2:.
Primary:. Dark Alley Scottish Ale

Old 04-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #129
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This is by far the best clone recipe ever. I have brewed it a few times and have not been disappointed. Each batch I have upped the 2 row by a pound and a half and added an extra half oz of cascade at 2 min. After aging a couple months its darn near impossible to tell the difference between mine and the real thing. Most choose mine in a blind taste test

The most recent is fermenting is fermenting very slowly at 54 degrees. I will slowly bring it up to 70 by the end of the week. I upped everything by 30%. It should be awesome.

Once again thanx BierMuncher.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #130
CCBrewer
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I will be brewing this as my first all grain with my new equipment. 10 gallon so I can break in my new fermentation chamber and eventually my corny kegs.

Will post when I get done
Thinking: Bavarian Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde,
Swmbo Slayer,
MEADS LOTS