Dog Collars - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Dog Collars

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
loopmd
 
loopmd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 657
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts



Our (ok...swmbo's) dog has chewed through his 4th collar. I've googled to see if there are any collars that are "chew proof" and can't seem to find anything. I don't want to go the choke collar route or put anti-chewing crap on his next collar. Any ideas or suggestions?

loop

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
JohnBarleycorn
Recipes 
 
Mar 2006
Brownstown Township MI
Posts: 165

Leather collar with spikes ? looks tough too .

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Todd
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
Mechanicsburg PA
Posts: 586
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by loopmd
Our (ok...swmbo's) dog has chewed through his 4th collar. I've googled to see if there are any collars that are "chew proof" and can't seem to find anything. I don't want to go the choke collar route or put anti-chewing crap on his next collar. Any ideas or suggestions?

loop

How is he chewing through a collar? make it tigher so it fits and he can't get is mouth in it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
c.n.budz
 
c.n.budz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Pistol Wavin' New Haven, for now...
Posts: 3,093
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts


that dog must have a one hell of a flexible neck to be chewing on its collar. Are you leaving it too loose? I have a braided nylon collar for my dog that has a double loop that acts like a choke collar but not as bad as a chain one.
__________________
Knucklehead Brewery, Est. 2007

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Adams, MA
Posts: 20,888
Liked 527 Times on 423 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
How is he chewing through a collar? make it tigher so it fits and he can't get is mouth in it.
That's what I'm thinking, the collar's too loose. I think I can probably fit two fingers between Troy's collar and his neck. No way he'd be able to get his mouth on it, and it's not too tight on him.

EDIT: I have a chain collar for when I walk him that's a quasi-choke collar; it doesn't choke him, but it has prongs that pinch his neckflesh a little if he lunges at something. If he's acting calm and walking alongside me like he's supposed to, it doesn't hurt him at all. But, that's a supplemental collar, it's not something you can leave on him all the time.
__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
Ryan_PA
 
Ryan_PA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Horsham, PA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,881
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts


My dog did this in his first year. we went through about 4-5 collers. There were not overly loose, two finger rule. We was like a contortionist. After a while, he stopped. I think at first he did not want to wear it at all. Now, he panics during his baths when it is off, and will not calm until it is back on.

If he is a pup, it should pass. If he is an adult, look into a choke chain.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
ColoradoXJ13
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Somerville, MA
Posts: 1,258
Liked 21 Times on 9 Posts


My vet suggested spraying/rubbing deoderant on stuff your dog chews that you don't want them to, they can't stand the taste and it isn't poinsonous.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
loopmd
 
loopmd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 657
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


After the 1st time, we started making sure that the collar was not too loose. I figured out that's how he did it the first time. The last couple of times, we have no idea how he could have had his jaws around it. It was more like 1 finger tight instead of 2. (get your mind out of the gutter!) Spiked collar is out too...that's just strictly used for me and swmbo.


loop

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #9
Evan!
 
Evan!'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 11,863
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
That's what I'm thinking, the collar's too loose. I think I can probably fit two fingers between Troy's collar and his neck. No way he'd be able to get his mouth on it, and it's not too tight on him.

EDIT: I have a chain collar for when I walk him that's a quasi-choke collar; it doesn't choke him, but it has prongs that pinch his neckflesh a little if he lunges at something. If he's acting calm and walking alongside me like he's supposed to, it doesn't hurt him at all. But, that's a supplemental collar, it's not something you can leave on him all the time.
Xander has one of those too. Otherwise he's liable to rip my arm out of its socket whenever he sees a squirrel or cat. Works pretty well...though, sometimes he gets worked up enough to not give a f*ck anyway.
__________________
MOSS HOLLOW BREWING CO.
Aristocratic Ales, Lascivious Lagers


.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
olllllo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 13,330
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by loopmd
After the 1st time, we started making sure that the collar was not too loose. I figured out that's how he did it the first time. The last couple of times, we have no idea how he could have had his jaws around it.
I understand wanting to solve this (believe me). Just make sure you're not solving the symptom. Try to look at the big picture. The dog may be bored and has no socially acceptable way of releasing energy.

Look at diet, discipline and exercise as well.

If you solve the symptom, it just may manifest itself as something more dangerous and expensive.
__________________
Rabbit And Coyote Schwag
Rob - Phoenix Ambassador to Milwaukee
Where did your avatar go?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Four 20# steel Co2 tanks with collars Echo2112 For Sale 7 10-30-2009 01:51 PM
Do collars cause the freezer to be less efficient? brewjack Kegerators & Keezers 32 07-03-2009 02:38 AM


Forum Jump