Lager dislike? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Lager dislike?

Old 10-25-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
May 2011
Chillicothe, Ohio
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Someone started a hop hater thread, which I found entertaining and useful, and it got me to thinking: I haven't ever had a lager I *really* liked. There's just something, I don't know, skunky (sorta), about them. Anyone else feel this way? Before I get jumped on, let me say I've tried my fair share from octoberfests to pils to bocks, and of course BMC, but that only sorta counts. anyway, anyone have a suggestion as to why this may be or feel similarly. Tell me I'm not a freak! Cheers
Fermenting/Aging:Williamette Pale
Bottled: BDSA, Brandon's Brown
On Deck: Birthday IIPA
Thinking About: Oak Aged Stout, BDSA
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart is a vampire, beer kills braincells. Now let's all go back to that ...building...thingy...where our beds and - Homer

Old 10-25-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
Ale's What Cures You!
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7918 Times on 5543 Posts

If you don't like them, you don't like them. That's fine.

That said, there are some fantastic lagers out there that I just love. One is Capital Brewery's Blonde Dopplebock. It's amazing.

I'm also a fan of many maibocks and several other seasonal offerings by several breweries. (Sprecher's Maibock is great, as is Capital Brewery's).

There are a few pilsners I like and a few more dopplebocks.

A good rich lager, full of melanoidin flavors, is a real treat.

I'm still an ale person overall, but I would never rule out a great lager!
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Old 10-25-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6892 Times on 4074 Posts

Kidding. Man I like me some lagers. I make a lot of them.

I can't stand hefe's any more (used to like them). Not even a sip. Freaks unite!
- Andrew

Old 10-25-2011, 02:24 AM   #4
Jul 2010
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

New Glarus Uff Da Bock is also a great beer. Very malty and rich. Teriffic lager.
Thanks for the input

Old 10-25-2011, 02:27 AM   #5
Apr 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
Liked 1046 Times on 1025 Posts

There is a brewery local to me called "Red Oak." They make only a few beers, all German style lagers. Here is their standard lineup. I am an ale drinker at heart but these are some good lagers.
Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 10-25-2011, 02:30 AM   #6
Jul 2008
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts

How do you feel about Anchor Steam? To me, it's the beeriest beer out there and would make a nice backwards-gateway into the lager world. It's a little fruity, bitter, and sulfur-free like many ales, but with the crisp lager finish.
OD: ?
Keg: Simple AIPA (2-row, Chinook, Cascade, WLP090)

Old 10-25-2011, 02:32 AM   #7
Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with you... There is some taste that seems pretty universal to lagers that just tastes off....
Primary: Bigfoot, Littlefoot
Conditioning:Hoppin in the Dark
Coming Up: Maximus, Sublimely Self Righteous

Old 10-25-2011, 02:38 AM   #8
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3192 Times on 1885 Posts

Have you ever tried a Vienna Lager, or a Mai Bock? Or are you just talking about light lagers like BMC? There's a ton of lagers out there that are pretty awesome.

The wonderful thing about beer is that there's plenty of styles for everyone!!

I'm not a big fan of hefes or wheat beers, myself.
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-25-2011, 02:42 AM   #9
Apr 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Liked 192 Times on 155 Posts

I'll go with you on this one. I can't say that I've ever had a lager and had a "wow" moment. More like a bunch of "eh" moments. I like to think I've tried a good sampling of german lagers. The only ones I like taste like ales.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:46 AM   #10
Jan 2011
Syracuse, New york
Liked 33 Times on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin
There is a brewery local to me called "Red Oak." They make only a few beers, all German style lagers. Here is their standard lineup. I am an ale drinker at heart but these are some good lagers.
I just had this at the airport on my way home last week. Having a local brew during my 4 hr layover helped it go by just a touch faster.