Anyone else love S04? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anyone else love S04?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 11:40 PM   #21
acuenca
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 366
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


Dude... so many... I've done IPAs, Porters, Browns and Stouts.... with 04... it's pretty clean... though admittedly, the ones I listed are fairly tolerant and robust brews

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:39 AM   #22
HIbrew
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Haverhill, MA
Posts: 21

I agree on the yeast cake, I just racked my BrandonO Graff which I made with S-04 and the yeast cake was SOLID. WOW!
__________________
Primary:
OctoberFast
Bottled:
Cooper Hill Amber
Blackberry Wine
Brandon O's Graff

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:44 AM   #23
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Albany, NY
Posts: 1,395
Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by acuenca View Post
Dude... so many... I've done IPAs, Porters, Browns and Stouts.... with 04... it's pretty clean... though admittedly, the ones I listed are fairly tolerant and robust brews
So, if you had to pick ONE right now, what would it be? It it helps any, my brews so far (since re-taking up this hobby) and my self-review are:
California Common (extract Kit) - eh, so so . Think I steeped the specialty grains at too high a temperature.
Blue Moon Clone (Blue Balls, modified extract kit) - others like it, I assess as "not bad"
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone (All Grain) - nice
Victory Hop Devil (All Grain) - wow, I like it - this one is going quickly and I've gotten some very positive feedback (like how come you don't open a brewery)
Red Rocket Ale Clone (All Grain) - ABV much higher than expected due to higher efficiency - nice, but don't like it as much as the IPA.
Mirror Pond Clone (All Grain) - we shall see.

I've been doing mostly clone recipe's so that I can compare my result to what I'm cloning, but open to just about any suggestion.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #24
acuenca
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 366
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
So, if you had to pick ONE right now, what would it be? It it helps any, my brews so far (since re-taking up this hobby) and my self-review are:
California Common (extract Kit) - eh, so so . Think I steeped the specialty grains at too high a temperature.
Blue Moon Clone (Blue Balls, modified extract kit) - others like it, I assess as "not bad"
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone (All Grain) - nice
Victory Hop Devil (All Grain) - wow, I like it - this one is going quickly and I've gotten some very positive feedback (like how come you don't open a brewery)
Red Rocket Ale Clone (All Grain) - ABV much higher than expected due to higher efficiency - nice, but don't like it as much as the IPA.
Mirror Pond Clone (All Grain) - we shall see.

I've been doing mostly clone recipe's so that I can compare my result to what I'm cloning, but open to just about any suggestion.
Are you out of any of these? If so I might make the one that you are out of except for the Blue moon clone...Also, looks like you got a bunch of hoppy brews... what about doing a brown or something different... otherwise do your VHD

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:16 AM   #25
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Albany, NY
Posts: 1,395
Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by acuenca View Post
Are you out of any of these? If so I might make the one that you are out of except for the Blue moon clone...Also, looks like you got a bunch of hoppy brews... what about doing a brown or something different... otherwise do your VHD
I will re-do the VHD soon as it is going quickly. I'm trying to do as many batches as time permits just to practice the process. Having participated in group buys on grains, also got a bunch of hops @ $.79/ounce a couple months ago, and got a bunch of hops given to me (fresh, which I've dried and placed in vacuum sealed bags), and reusing yeast means my costs are relatively low. I'm also sometimes doing reduced batch sizes (4 gallons) due to limitations on how much liquid I can get to a boil on my electric stove top. For instance, my estimated ingredient cost for a 4 gallon batch of VHD is about $12.00 ($.29/bottle).

This is my long winded way of saying I want a new recipe that other people like to try.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #26
Monstar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Denver
Posts: 440
Liked 35 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997
Just moved ( a couple days ago) a Mirror Pond Ale clone from a primary to keg for dry hop/secondary/conditioning. Being the cheap person I am, I saved the yeast cake into a couple Sterilized Mason Jars (which are sitting loosely capped in my Refrigerator). So, anyone out there have recommendation for other All Grain recipe's using US-04? (I've got plenty of grains and hops to choose from). By the way, the Mirror Pond FG reading was 1.008 and the sample tasted wonderful!
Are you down to spend a couple hours toasting some two row? If so I can try to turn my favorite home malt recipe to a store bought malt recipe that I'm sure you will love.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #27
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Albany, NY
Posts: 1,395
Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstar View Post
Are you down to spend a couple hours toasting some two row? If so I can try to turn my favorite home malt recipe to a store bought malt recipe that I'm sure you will love.
Yes, sounds good. I used to (still do sometimes) make home made bread, so I know how to use the oven.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #28
badmajon
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Posts: 949
Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts


Maybe I made a mistake but the last time I used S04 I had it crap out in the low 60s and left my beer overly sweet. I prefer S05. However, dry yeast rocks- if only they could diversify the strains a bit.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #29
commonsenseman
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Posts: 553
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


S-04 is quickly becoming my "house yeast strain". Works great every time, ferments clean & quick regardless of whether I re-hydrate it or not.
__________________
"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein
__________________________________________
Bottled: Traditional Wildflower Mead, Burnt Apple Braggot, Apfelwein, Big Ol' Braggot
Kegged: Wee Bit O' Honey

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #30
scottland
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Chandler, AZ
Posts: 2,116
Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts


I actually find that US-04 has a little twang to it. I can't describe it well, it's not a phenolic, just a little estery. I've fermented it cold (62*), and it's still there, so I gave up on S04. I use WLP007 for my Dry english needs.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love when things go well! mhenry41h Fermentation & Yeast 6 02-24-2011 02:58 PM
Man, do I love me some Safale S-04 anchorandoak Fermentation & Yeast 9 01-09-2011 11:46 PM
I love this hobby. camneel83 Fermentation & Yeast 1 09-08-2010 09:18 AM
Ok, we love them, but what are they really dof oing? DizzyPants Fermentation & Yeast 6 06-08-2010 10:54 PM
Love this weather lowlife Fermentation & Yeast 4 10-19-2009 02:33 AM


Forum Jump