Survey for AG Brewers: Fly or Batch Sparge? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Survey for AG Brewers: Fly or Batch Sparge?

Old 10-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
Brulosopher

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Fresno, CA
Liked 357 Times on 261 Posts

I've been brewing AG for about a year (2 batches per month). I brewed extract for a long time before that. When deciding to go AG, I was torn between traditional fly sparge and batch sparge (Denny Conn style). For myriad reasons, I chose the batch sparge method and have since brewed over 100 gallons this way.

Out of sheer curiosity, I'm wondering how many all-grain brewers have chosen fly sparge over batch sparge, and vice versa. Also, why?

Cheers to all!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 10-24-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
JuanMoore

Recipes 

Oct 2009
The Old Pueblo
Liked 3684 Times on 3506 Posts

I've tried both, but prefer to batch sparge. It's fast, easy, and hard to screw up.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:22 AM   #3
tom_hampton
Recipes 

Oct 2011
princeton, tx
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Batch all the way. I was like you originally...felt like fly was the purest way to go. Now, I couldn't care less. Batch works great. The slight loss in efficiency doesn't seem worth the trouble to get the 'perfect' fly.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:23 AM   #4
shutupjojo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
dundee, Oregon
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

For 21 years now I have fly sparged and the beers have been great. Since I have been a member here I have thought of batch sparging as a lazy , off the regular brewing path.
The last few batches I have brewed, I tried the double batch sparge from that Bobby guy and I think the beer is much more maltier and better quality tasting. I know there are many dynamics and brew systems but I can definitely say my beer is better this way

BrightSpot Likes This 
Old 10-24-2011, 02:26 AM   #5
StokedBrew
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Olympia, WA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Batch. And Denny is king. What he says is law.
Fly sparge is for people who lack patience.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:33 AM   #6
shutupjojo

Recipes 

Dec 2010
dundee, Oregon
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StokedBrew View Post
Batch. And Denny is king. What he says is law.
Fly sparge is for people who lack patience.
I think it takes more patience to fly sparge and I can't understand why you have to think that Denny is law. Don't you have your own way ?

Old 10-24-2011, 02:36 AM   #7
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2006
North Central NC
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Batch, never fly sparged

Old 10-24-2011, 02:38 AM   #8
Brulosopher

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Fresno, CA
Liked 357 Times on 261 Posts

I would have to agree that fly sparge requires more patience... perhaps you meant, "fly sparge is for people who lack a lack of patience."

I've only ever batch sparged, and I can't say I'm displeased with my results. That said, I certainly do wonder what my beers would taste like using the fly sparge method. Hmm... that might be a good experiment for the dudes at Basic Brewing!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 10-24-2011, 02:40 AM   #9
Beezy
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupjojo
For 21 years now I have fly sparged and the beers have been great. Since I have been a member here I have thought of batch sparging as a lazy , off the regular brewing path.
The last few batches I have brewed, I tried the double batch sparge from that Bobby guy and I think the beer is much more maltier and better quality tasting. I know there are many dynamics and brew systems but I can definitely say my beer is better this way
Many right ways to do it. That's the beauty of brewing. I batch. Single sparge. Thinking about trying no sparge even.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 AM   #10
old_tx_kbb

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Nashville, TN, Tennessee
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I fly sparged for years, because that's how I learned to brew back in
the 90's....

I've re-evaluated my efforts and efficiencies and I'm a batch sparger now....I'd be happy to part with my sparge arm any day....although it did look cool spinning around....
On Deck: Wee Heavy
Dry Stout
Saison
Bo Pils