Apple Juice Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
1 gal. fresh or bottled apple juice or cider
1.25 pounds granulated sugar (more or less to bring s.g. to 1.095)
1 tsp acid blend
1 2/3 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed campden tablet
1/4 to 1/2 tsp tannin
1 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
wine yeast (champagne is good)

In primary, stir sugar into juice until dissolved. (mix a little less at first, check s.g. and add the rest if you need to- some juices are naturally sweeter than others). Add acid blend, 1/4 tsp tannin, yeast nutrient and crushed campden tablet. Stir well, cover and let sit for 12 hours. Stir in pectic enzyme and recover primary. After an additional 12 hours, add activated yeast and cover primary loosely. Stir daily for 10 days, then recover. Taste to determine tannin adequacy. If not adequate, stir in an additional 1/8 tsp tannin and set aside four hours. Taste again to determine if an additional 1/8 tsp tannin is required. When satisfied, rack into secondary and fit airlock. Any additional wine can be poured into a smaller bottle with an airlock and can be used for topping up later. Rack, top up, and refit airlock every 60 days for 6 months. Stabilize, sweeten if desired, and wait two weeks. Rack into bottles and set aside one year. (Jack keller recipe)

(Mine finished at .992 so after I stabilized, I sweetened to 1.000)

What size fermenter do you start this in?
Sorry I'm new don't know if i 7gl is to big for this small amount.

For a one gallon batch, I use a one gallon jug. Actually, it's more like a 4L jug, since it's an old Carlo Rossi wine jug. You can use any size primary you want, just make sure your secondary is the correct size, so you don't have any headspace.

For a one gallon batch, I use a one gallon jug. Actually, it's more like a 4L jug, since it's an old Carlo Rossi wine jug. You can use any size primary you want, just make sure your secondary is the correct size, so you don't have any headspace.

Thank you.

What makes this "wine" instead of "cider"?

No, not a dumb question. Cider is typically a lower alcohol beverage and is generally around 6%-7%. The starting and ending gravity of Yooper's wine makes it about 12% or so, and qualifies it as a wine rather than a cider.

There are exceptions, and some cider styles can be that strong. It's just a matter of semantics.

Also, the taste is "wine", not cider, if that makes sense. It's a white wine, not really apply but not grape-like either. It's crisp and dry (or semi-sec if you sweeten it) and very much a wine.

Started a 2 gallon batch of this on 3/17/09. I added an extra 2 oz of sugar per gallon to bring the starting S.G. up to 1.100...I wanted it a little hotter.

Transferred it to the secondary today and the S.G. was .998. Since I used the champagne yeast I assume this will get even more dry, which is what I want. I tried a bit and it had a very slight sweetness to it, but pretty dry with a bit of a pleasant burn on the tongue after. I'm looking forward to what it looks like in a few weeks!

This may seem like a dumb question... but I will ask it anyway. Does the type of yeast you use determine if the wine will be "dry" or sweet? I really want to try to make a sweeter wine, as I couldn't drink 2 gallons of a dry wine. :p

This may seem like a dumb question... but I will ask it anyway. Does the type of yeast you use determine if the wine will be "dry" or sweet? I really want to try to make a sweeter wine, as I couldn't drink 2 gallons of a dry wine. :p

I'm new to this, but as i understand it the results are based on a comnination of yeast used and sugar content. Different yeasts can tolerate different alchohol levels. So if you add enough sugar say for a potential alchohol content of 15%, then you need a yeast that can reach that level. If it does, it will eat all the sugar and leave the wine dry. If the yeast only tolerates say 13% alchohol, then it has left sugar behind and the wine is sweeter.

Some people will ferment to dryness, then stabalize the wine and add sugar later to sweeten it.

That's true- but you could end up with an 18% ABV wine as a result- making sweet rocket fuel.

As was said, most people pick an ABV level they want to reach, and make the OG in that range. After it's fermented out completely, it's stabilized with sorbate and sulfite and then sweetened to taste. That way you can make whatever you want- a 12% semi-sec wine, a 15% sweet wine, a 13% dry wine, etc, and know what you are getting.

I just talked to my neighbor who had been brewing this recipe of yours for a good min (he's not a member but he is into home-brewing) and I gave it a try, he showed me through all the steps and I must say Yooper, This Is a great Apple Wine!!!. KUDOS!!!

I just racked this into the secondary at about .994. original gravity 1.095. This looks like it will be good hopefully it will be worth the wait! It should be a nice break from the cold weather once its done! Thanks! I think you should clarify what you are tasting for when deciding if you should add more tannin. Tannic level tasting tips?

I just racked this into the secondary at about .994. original gravity 1.095. This looks like it will be good hopefully it will be worth the wait! It should be a nice break from the cold weather once its done! Thanks! I think you should clarify what you are tasting for when deciding if you should add more tannin. Tannic level tasting tips?

If the wine is missing that sort of "bite" or interest that tannin provides, it can be added. It's easy to overdo, though, so only add it if the wine is very boring or what they call "flabby".

quick question yooper, how is this different than the apfelwein that everyone is raving about? taste wise i'm curious i'd like to start a batch of this, this weekend

thanks

I am brand new to wine making and this is the first recipe I tried. I have 5 gallons in the primary. I used EC-1118 Champagne yeast and did not rehydrate it before pitching, just sprinkled it on top. I have the primary airlocked because the instructions that came with my kit said to do that plus we are having a bit of an issue with fruit flies right now. It is 66 degrees in the house and I am only getting one bubble every 45-50 seconds through the airlock. I thought there would be more activity at this point. Is this normal at this stage? Should I remove the airlock and cover with a towel instead?

I am brand new to wine making and this is the first recipe I tried. I have 5 gallons in the primary. I used EC-1118 Champagne yeast and did not rehydrate it before pitching, just sprinkled it on top. I have the primary airlocked because the instructions that came with my kit said to do that plus we are having a bit of an issue with fruit flies right now. It is 66 degrees in the house and I am only getting one bubble every 45-50 seconds through the airlock. I thought there would be more activity at this point. Is this normal at this stage? Should I remove the airlock and cover with a towel instead?

If fruitflies are an issue, then airlocking is probably your best best. Grab a sanitized something (dowel, spoon, etc) and give it a stir to aerate it a bit. Don't count airlock bubbling as significant- there should be bubbles (like in soda pop) throughout the must. But stirring it will help since you have it airlocked.

Also remember that the lower the temperature the slower the fermentation process.

If fruitflies are an issue, then airlocking is probably your best best. Grab a sanitized something (dowel, spoon, etc) and give it a stir to aerate it a bit. Don't count airlock bubbling as significant- there should be bubbles (like in soda pop) throughout the must. But stirring it will help since you have it airlocked.

Thanks, Yooper. On the fourth day the fermentation took off under the airlock.
Now I have another question. I made a 5 gallon batch so just multiplied your recipe by 5. Pitched the yeast on 10/20 and racked it last night, 10/28. The initial SG reading was 1.096 and at time of racking it was 1.00. When I got it into the carboy I realized that it holds 6 gallons rather than 5. I had to add a gallon + of water to top it off. I assume this will reduce my ABV by 20%. I added some sugar to boost the ABV because of the dilution and this morning the airlock is bubbling away. Will this cause any unforeseen problems?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks, Yooper. On the fourth day the fermentation took off under the airlock.
Now I have another question. I made a 5 gallon batch so just multiplied your recipe by 5. Pitched the yeast on 10/20 and racked it last night, 10/28. The initial SG reading was 1.096 and at time of racking it was 1.00. When I got it into the carboy I realized that it holds 6 gallons rather than 5. I had to add a gallon + of water to top it off. I assume this will reduce my ABV by 20%. I added some sugar to boost the ABV because of the dilution and this morning the airlock is bubbling away. Will this cause any unforeseen problems?

Thanks for your help.

Well, adding that much water will dilute the apple flavor of the wine, as well as water it down quite a bit. I would have added some apple juice, or some white wine, and not that much water. It'll be pretty thin in the end, I'd guess.

I am still new to wine making and normally use apples and concentrates, but I just completed the first racking of my canned Peach wine. I tasted it just to see and it has no taste of a peach at all. I know it's still very early in the process, but is there something I can do to bring that fruit flavor back because at the moment all I taste is alcohol.

130423_002.jpg

If it works like apple stuff, just kick back and drink something else for a few months. Apple really noticeable pops after a few months. The alcohol blends and mellows, the fruit flavor jumps out.

Yes give it some time for the flavor to take over.If after some time you don't get any flavor you can add some peach juice after you remove some liquid from the carboy. I had the same issue with a strawberry wine.It had to much alcohol and no flavor at all. I waited some time 1-2 months and it didn't change much so I first used a strawberry syrup and let it sit.about 2 months after that I used some 100% strawberry juice. This wine turned out fantastic and I just bottle it last week. Good luck with your Peach wine and keep us updated.

quick question yooper, how is this different than the apfelwein that everyone is raving about? taste wise i'm curious i'd like to start a batch of this, this weekend

thanks

I am thinking about making this. Can anyone explain the difference, if any?

I am thinking about making this. Can anyone explain the difference, if any?

Apfelwein is just that much more simple to put together with less ingredients. Apfelwein calls for no acid bland, no tannin, no pectic enzyme and calls specifically for montrachete yeast. All those little things will produce a different end product. Both will be apple wines, though.

I recently put together a spiced apple wine a couple weeks ago. I gallon of apple juice, sugar, pumpkin spice, nutmeg, cinnimon sticks and a couple cloves with some Lalvin 1116 pitched in. We'll see how it turns out in a few months. :mug:

Rack, top up, and refit airlock every 60 days for 6 months.

I know this is a rather aged thread, but I am on day 3 of this recipe (scaled for 3 gal). I understand mixing for the first 10 days, and I'm familiar with racking and topping up. The questions with this recipe is what do you top up with? How do you manage head space with no odd sized carboys?

If i get three months from completion and have to add more apple juice, it seems like that would compromise the final product, maybe? Any suggestions to managing this?

I know this is a rather aged thread, but I am on day 3 of this recipe (scaled for 3 gal). I understand mixing for the first 10 days, and I'm familiar with racking and topping up. The questions with this recipe is what do you top up with? How do you manage head space with no odd sized carboys?

If i get three months from completion and have to add more apple juice, it seems like that would compromise the final product, maybe? Any suggestions to managing this?

I try to make larger sized batches, like a 4 gallon batch, and then save the leftover in a growler/jug/wine bottle with a stopper and airlock and then use that for topping up.

If you have to top up because you don't have a smaller carboy, you could top up with a dry white commercial wine. It won't be exactly the same, but it shouldn't change it much. If you have to top up more than that, using two gallon sized jugs (the Carlo Rossi wine jugs are a bit larger than 1 gallon since they are four liters) and a wine bottle with stoppers and airlocks will work.

Sorry for the ? on this...I could google and read 5 pages or ask here in hopes of an easy answer and have the info attached to this thread for the next guy...
What and Why is Topping of for?

Sorry for the ? on this...I could google and read 5 pages or ask here in hopes of an easy answer and have the info attached to this thread for the next guy...
What and Why is Topping of for?

You want to have no headspace in the carboy, so you'd "top up" to just below the bung, leaving the minimum of headspace possible.

"Stabilize, sweeten if desired, and wait two weeks".

Stabilize? What does this mean? I understand waiting two weeks after if sugar added to sweeten.

Also to double check your recipe. .25 lb of Sugar. NOT 1.25lb of sugar correct.... I mean I will check with Hydrometer as I go... AND 2/3tsp of Pectic Enzyme not 1 and 2/3 tsp....
Those dang (1.) bullets.

my guess is a bit sharper/tart. got the wife an apple/ black currant juice the other day and it was strong as heck. Using it as a mixer I had to cut it with water as the black currant flavor was overpowering.

Back