Need advice from a D & D master - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Need advice from a D & D master

Old 04-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #1
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts

So I want to learn how to play Dungeons and Dragons so I can play with my teenage children. They spend far too much time in front of the TV or computer. I went on ebay to see if I could find some kind of starter kit so I can learn to be a dungeon master. I bought this kit:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...3738&rd=1&rd=1

So I have several questions. Do I need to buy some dice to go with this, and if so, what kind? Is this truly a starter kit or some kind of wannabe watered down version? If this is not a good starter kit, can you recommend the minimum books/materials to get started? I don't want to buy too much until I know that my kids are going to want to play regularily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:04 PM   #2
z987k

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Anchorage
Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts

just going to throw this out there. But, being 21 - younger - D&D is the last thing you want to teach your children.
Maybe hunting camping fishing atv's dirt bikes etc.?

Old 04-16-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Calgary
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
just going to throw this out there. But, being 21 - younger - D&D is the last thing you want to teach your children.

Why is that? Too much reading involved?

Fingers, that's not a good set. You need to find 3rd (or 3.5) Edition stuff. Best to find a hobbyshop near you and talk to them. D&D can be quite involved, are you sure you want to get into it?

Old 04-16-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
jjasghar
Recipes 

Feb 2007
Austin, TX
Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
So I want to learn how to play Dungeons and Dragons so I can play with my teenage children. They spend far too much time in front of the TV or computer. I went on ebay to see if I could find some kind of starter kit so I can learn to be a dungeon master. I bought this kit:

So I have several questions. Do I need to buy some dice to go with this, and if so, what kind? Is this truly a starter kit or some kind of wannabe watered down version? If this is not a good starter kit, can you recommend the minimum books/materials to get started? I don't want to buy too much until I know that my kids are going to want to play regularily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
i actually bought this kit about 6-7 years ago.... Hated it. I went GURPs a game done by steve jackson. It required much more imagination and there are about a billion add on books.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
z987k

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Anchorage
Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Too much reading involved?
no, come on....

Old 04-16-2007, 11:20 PM   #6
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
We live in the country so outdoor pursuits have always been integrated into our household. I'm looking for something more intellectually stimulating for my genius children. We do tend to wax to the egghead side of things so I though I'd find some leisure time that corresponds to that.

Cheyco, I realize that there is a fairly steep learning curve but I'm hoping that there are some materials that can ease us into it. I'm a pretty quick study and I learn very well from books. I just don't have anyone I can turn to for advice on how to direct my studies. I'll likely take you up on your advice. My LHBS is also a gaming store. That's what got me to thinking. I'm a bit of a cheap bastard though, so I wanted to find a deal on ebay.

Here's another one that I'm looking at. Is it a little better?

Old 04-16-2007, 11:50 PM   #7
Vermicous

Recipes 

May 2006
Dover, NH
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I grew up with this stuff in the 80's, it's really weird to hear a parent interested in turning his kids onto gaming.

All you really need is a Player's Handbook and a Dungeon Master's Guide. Most gaming stores have a used section, chances are you can find both of these there since everyone has em. I think Cheyco is right and 3.5 is the latest edition.

If you read any fantasy at all, you will pick this up with ease. All roleplaying is telling a story, one that is changed as you progress. The books are there just to put rules to the story. Don't sweat learning the books at first, just give enough of a read to pick up the basics.

As for the dice, pick up one tube that has all six types and then three more six-sided dice if it doesn't already come with three or more six-sides.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:00 AM   #8
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermicous
I grew up with this stuff in the 80's, it's really weird to hear a parent interested in turning his kids onto gaming.

All you really need is a Player's Handbook and a Dungeon Master's Guide. Most gaming stores have a used section, chances are you can find both of these there since everyone has em. I think Cheyco is right and 3.5 is the latest edition.

If you read any fantasy at all, you will pick this up with ease. All roleplaying is telling a story, one that is changed as you progress. The books are there just to put rules to the story. Don't sweat learning the books at first, just give enough of a read to pick up the basics.

As for the dice, pick up one tube that has all six types and then three more six-sided dice if it doesn't already come with three or more six-sides.
I'm of the opinion that if you raise your kids with the right values they aren't likely to be currupted by something as innocuous as a game. I've read some of the objections that people had to RPG games and it sounds like nothing more than superstitous nonsense and fear mongering. I think my kids are well grounded in reality.

I've read a TON of fantasy books. My eldest is now digging through my boxes and re-reading a lot of the stuff I teethed on. Builds a great vocabulary and command of the language.

I'll look through ebay for a Dungeon Master's guide and Player's handbook (v 3.5), then. SWMBO is going to the city this week so I can get her to pick up some dice. Seeing as how that also happens to be my LHBS, I'll have to decide what I want to brew this weekend. I have a Caramel Ale I want to make and I have another empty primary. I gotta think about summer beers. By the time it's ready, we should be somewhat proficient at the game. What goes good with demons and monsters?

Old 04-17-2007, 01:00 AM   #9
Wolf

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Racine, WI
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Try a set like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-D-3-5-Players-...QQcmdZViewItem

I got my first D&D set when I was 7, played on and off for 25 years. Great for imagination, vocabulary, history, and instills a love of reading, but thats starting out young. Also tends to hamper social development when starting out young, but you don't have to turn out an uber-geek just because you roleplay, I got married, had kids (well, kid), and rarely suffered from poor hygiene

Seriously, it's great if you can get your kids into it, but if they dont go in willingly with an open mind you'll never get it off the ground.

If roleplay doesnt work try a tabletop wargame like Warhammer 40k. Build and paint your models and then wage war, cool, but very time and $$$ intensive. There are other cheaper alternatives in the genre, but that the best known.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:01 AM   #10
Wolf

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Racine, WI
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
What goes good with demons and monsters?
Traditionally? Junk food and Mountain Dew