Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dehydrate Pumpkin for future pumpkin ale?
Old 10-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Dehydrate Pumpkin for future pumpkin ale?

So I have a variety of pumpkins on hand, however I won't be making a pumpkin ale this month... maybe next month. I don't want my pumpkins to go bad before I put them in a brew and the pumpkin farm up the road will be closed in a few weeks. Has anyone ever tried dehydrating slices of pumpkin and using it in ales at a later date? Also... Pumpkin farm up the road... what variety of pumpkins have you used? I can go pick from 25 different kinds.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
BJCP ID: F0838
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 443 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I wouldn't dehydrate it. I'd cut it into cubes, put it in a ziplock freezer bag, and put it in the freezer, then the fridge a few days before you want to use it.

I think by dehydrating it, you'd actually lose some of the properties of the pumpkin that make it useful in brewing.

Remember that pumpkin doesn't really add a "flavor" to pumpkin ales, it adds a sort of protein base to the body that balances the pumpkin pie spices you will add in the boil.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I would look at your dehydrator manual & see if it discusses pumpkin.

Go with a pie pumpkin or any one that is for eating; not the huge jack o lanterns used for carving.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I can my fresh pie pumpkins for the beer the following year. I like to start my pumpkin ale in mid August so that it is ready for the beginning of October, but there are no fresh pumpkins ready. So last year I began canning them for use the following year it works great.

Here is a link to how to can fresh pumpkin.