Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Recipes from Charcuterie

Old 10-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3022 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Recipes from Charcuterie

I know many of you have the book Charcuterie and have made things out of it. I have read the book cover to cover and used the processes and concepts out of it but last night was the first time I actually followed one of the recipies. I made the breakfast sausage and the mexican chorizo. When I fried up a test piece neither of these were really that great at all and I will not be making them again.

What have you all made from the book and what were the results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 10-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
JerseyTransplant
Recipes 

I've made a few things, although it has been a while. The biggest success I can remember was the bacon, oh my god it was so good. It was helped by the fact that I live in Austria, where "American" style bacon is not very prevalent. Yes yes, we have things similar to american bacon here, but not the same; I get into a lot of arguments about that...

anyway, I've also made the duck confit, which I found to be really great as well. My one failure thus far has been trying to preserve lemons; I think I used the wrong salt, and they never dried out, but just rotted. Gross.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Cromwell
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 132

I've also made the bacon and SWMBO and I love it. We're American, but it's just better. I made the pastrami and it was good, but not worth the effort.
Oh, and I've made the cold-smoked salmon and the people who've tried it rave about it.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I've made hot Italian -better than average, bratwurst-better than average, breakfast sausage-not to my taste, bacon-is a staple around chez Jass, corned beef-good but liked Sean Paxton's recipe better.

I enjoyed the book and learned some good techniques. Some of the recipes don't found very appealing to my palette.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ok so I am just not alone then I guess. The breakfast sausge has way to much ginger and not enough sage for me. I was afraid of that much ginger and should have just gone with my instincts.

The chorizo is too salty and just has a weird taste to it. I need to try it some more to try and norrow down exactly what I don't like about it.
Quote:
I was wrong

Old 10-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
Ok so I am just not alone then I guess. The breakfast sausge has way to much ginger and not enough sage for me. I was afraid of that much ginger and should have just gone with my instincts.

The chorizo is too salty and just has a weird taste to it. I need to try it some more to try and norrow down exactly what I don't like about it.
I never tried the mexican sausage, but, youre right, breakfast sausage had way too much ginger. I found a recipe for jimmy deans sage sausage I've been using. It's really good.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
I never tried the mexican sausage, but, youre right, breakfast sausage had way too much ginger. I found a recipe for jimmy deans sage sausage I've been using. It's really good.
Link?

I normally don't follow recipies on anything other than baking but I decided I want to try a few then come up with one of my own.
Quote:
I was wrong

Old 10-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

No link, but here's the recipe:

5# ground pork
5 t salt
2.5 t parsley
1.25 t sage
1.25 t course black pepper
1.25 t thyme
1.25 t crushed red pepper
1.25 coriander
1.25 msg - I omitted this

I've made it several times. It's not perfect yet but it's a pretty good starting point.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Is that for dried herbs I guess?
Quote:
I was wrong

Old 10-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #10