Silly question but i have to ask. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Silly question but i have to ask.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
dave1226
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

An anyone tell me, what would happen if you dry hopped and the hops all floated to the top of the carboy?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
phenry
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Clemson, SC
Liked 121 Times on 73 Posts

I've never had hops not float on the top of of my beer. I just rack under them if I'm not using a bag. I may have a total of one or two hop bits end up in my bottles, but I'm not really worried about that.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
dave1226
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok great, thanks guys. Stupid question, I know, but I had ask because I'm doing my first dry hop and that's what happened. Just didn't know if it would impact anything. Thanks again! Cheers!

Old 10-20-2011, 01:41 AM   #5
BostonHomeBrew
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Boston, MA

You can also use a mesh bag for pellet hops right? Any thoughts on the difference between pellets and whole hops on aroma?

Old 10-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
Sacdan

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Sacramento, CA
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Pellets leave more sludge on the bottom.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & shootist of air
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3689 Times on 3170 Posts

Well,after having used both pellets & raw or whole leaf hops many times,I'd say if you want more flavor than bittering with additions @ 30 mins or less,use the whole leaf hops. Pellets seem to be easier at getting even some bittering at shorter times.
Interesting to note that,at my LHBS in Westlake,OH started carrying Hop Union hops as well. Hop Union calls them raw hops,whereas LD Carlson from down in Kent calls them whole leaf hops. I guess LD Carlson might've gotten less hops to sell on our level this season. But I've used Hop Unions raw hops in my last 2 batches,so we'll see how their US raw varieties come out. They smell great,good definition to the aromas from them. Smells to me like we had a good season in America this time around.
So raw/whole leaf for smoother aroma/flavor & pellet hops if you want some extra little bittering, to my current experience.
And by the way,1oz of pellets works fine in the small muslin hop sacks. But for 1oz of raw/whole hops,you need the muslin grain bags like Brewer's Best gives in there kits. Raw/whole leaf when whetted gives a lot more volume!
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 10-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
gcdowd

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Baldwinsville, NY
Liked 201 Times on 151 Posts

Not to hijack this thread but I hate having to siphon around the dry hops and still get hop particles in my bottles. Can you get the same aroma effects that dry hopping gives by just adding a bunch of hops at flameout? Or is it not quite the same?

Old 10-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Unibrow
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Cleveland, OH
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) if you add the hops at flameout it will scrub away the flavor/aroma during fermentation.

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Old 10-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
bernerbrau

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Nashville, TN
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdowd View Post
Not to hijack this thread but I hate having to siphon around the dry hops and still get hop particles in my bottles. Can you get the same aroma effects that dry hopping gives by just adding a bunch of hops at flameout? Or is it not quite the same?
Nope - the fermentation will remove a lot of the volatile hop compounds added at flameout. Dry hopping occurs after fermentation.

Try wrapping your siphon in a (sanitized) fine mesh hop straining bag when racking to bottle, or add your hops in the (sanitized) mesh bag and weigh it down with some (sanitized) marbles or ball bearings.