What starter beer for a WLP099 barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to use up this WLP099 on a small batch, and I think it would be best to just brew up a smaller beer and pitch right on the cake. But I've heard that WLP099 can have poor results on some smaller gravity beers.

Any opinions? If you have experience with this yeast, I'd like to know what beers you think would make a good lower gravity starter beer for this yeast.

I used WLP099 recently to finish out a hogh grav IIPA. (15% or so) I started with a bunch of S05 then after a week or so added a 24 hour old starter of WLP099 and it worked well that way. Never tried the 99 as a primary yeast. It worked really well for me. Good luck!

Hey, that's not a bad idea. I could start with some 2H yeast I'm harvesting. I'll need another stirplate to build them both up, though. Maybe I should finish that second one for my friend and try it out.

When I did my DFH 120 clone I did the same, I used 05 till it pooped out and then added a starter of 099

Back