Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Mold on/in beer can't hurt you: true?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
badmajon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lincoln, United Kingdom
Posts: 841
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Mold on/in beer can't hurt you: true?

Is it true that mold and other gunk which can come up in beer can't hurt you, only add off flavors?


badmajon is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
burninmules
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Joliet, Illinois
Posts: 192
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

This is true. There is no bacteria that can hurt you that can live in beer. Bacteria and infections can make your beer taste horrible but, it will not harm you.


burninmules is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
audger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ., Connecticut
Posts: 1,497
Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

how do you figure, sports fan?

last i checked e.coli and listeria still make you sick... they can certainly get in beer if you are careless and the conditions are right. beer is not a sanitizer itself, so if its contaminated by something bad, you will be drinking something bad.
audger is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 3,537
Liked 347 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 268

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
how do you figure, sports fan?

last i checked e.coli and listeria still make you sick... they can certainly get in beer if you are careless and the conditions are right. beer is not a sanitizer itself, so if its contaminated by something bad, you will be drinking something bad.
Last time I checked, neither pathogenic e.coli or listeria will grow in either beer wort and/or beer.
broadbill is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
ReverseApacheMaster
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,887
Liked 233 Times on 194 Posts

Default

E. coli and other enterobacter will definitely grow in wort. Once beer reaches a certain pH e.coli dies. Prior to that point you could have a nice e. coli colony to sip on.

Mold will also grow on beer and some molds do produce neurotoxins. So drink those at your own peril.
ReverseApacheMaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
janivar123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: porsgrunn norway, lol
Posts: 554
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Mold in beer can hurt you
Bacteria can not
__________________
Nothing too interesting yet
deamonale
A work in progress just like my beer
janivar123 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
GrantH
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hattiesburg, MS, Mississippi
Posts: 326
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Beer can hurt you as well. Yet people don't bother with not drinking beer. How exactly does mold/bacteria form in a closed system that only releases CO2 and doesn't intake anything in the fermentation process?

This is coming from someone who believes that all home-brewers at the very least dump boiling water over/in their equipment to help sanitize. Unless your big mac drips it's grease in your brew, where do these occurances happen in the process? I guess a mild case of bacteria is explainable, but e.coli and such harsh ones??? geez.
GrantH is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
lgilmore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 606
Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Default

E.coli? Man, what else are you using your fermentor bucket for?
lgilmore is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,561
Liked 113 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgilmore View Post
E.coli? Man, what else are you using your fermentor bucket for?
Enterobacteriaceae are not uncommon early on in fermentation, especially when doing wild ales. They get killed as the alcohol increases and the pH drops.
ArcaneXor is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:42 AM   #10
thegerm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wallington, NJ
Posts: 394
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

I'm not gonna throw a raw chicken leg into my fermentor and assume that my 5% ethanol solution is going to kill salmonella.... maybe it will... but I have to imagine even coolship users in belgium are using some common sense techniques to keep extra-dangerous bugs away.


thegerm is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skimming break=hurt the beer? BrewDey General Techniques 18 10-31-2011 05:53 PM
Will it hurt to age a beer meant to be drank young? Netflyer General Techniques 1 01-13-2010 02:47 AM
Does OxyClean hurt Copper? Ewalk02 General Techniques 4 02-18-2009 11:59 PM
A little iodine gonna hurt? Thor the Mighty General Techniques 14 10-11-2008 04:29 AM
Does it hurt to leave in primary longer? nickhead General Techniques 23 08-20-2008 01:59 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS