Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Using persimmon pomace?

Old 10-18-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
dougdecinces
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Using persimmon pomace?

SWMBO and I were able to get 8 lbs of persimmons from a tree near our house. We milled them and ended up with about 3.5 lbs of pulp and 4 lbs of "pomace", which is approximately 50% seeds and skins and 50% pulp that wouldn't make it through the food mill. Rather than letting it go to waste, I decided to bag it and put it in the freezer in the hope that I can use it in a very small batch (1.5-2 gallon) brown ale. I am making a Flanders Red that won't be ready for another year, and the idea of siphoning a few gallons on to persimmons sounds delicious in theory, but I'm hoping I can use this to put that theory in practice.

I think I've settled on doing a variant of Orfy's Mild-Mannered ale, but adding 1/4 lb of Golden Naked Oats (because I have 3 lbs and need to use them eventually) and Palisades instead of Fuggle (because it's what I have).

Some questions I had:

1) Should I worry at all about fermenting on the pomace? I made sure that none of the seeds were broken and there are no stems or leaves in there.
2) What would be a good lb fruit/gallon amount? Like I said, from the looks of it, about 50% is skins and seeds. I originally planned on making a 1.5 gallon batch, but could go higher or lower depending on your answers.