oak aged - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > oak aged

Old 10-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Huck-E-bear

Recipes 

Jun 2011
pooler, GA

I just brewed a lambic and I wanted to age it in an oak barrel and I was curious about how long is long enough or if there is too long with beer.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You can do this but there is an easier way to go about it.
This is what I would do, buy oak chips from your homebrew store, they sell them all over the city here.

They normally come in a small package not much bigger than your hand. One package is enough for 5 gallon batch, they also have toasted oak vs regular which will add some colour perhaps.

The chips you can easily sanitize, boil water toss the chips in for 2-3 mins then strain and ziploc until ready. Toss then right into secondary or use sanitized hop bag.

I would age it for 14-20 days. Some people will say this is too long, if you want oak taste, you want oak taste. Cut it back to 7 days for a lighter taste.

You can also use 1/2 a cup of Crown Royal Whisky and soak the oak chips for 10 days strain and toss to secondary

Old 10-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Lancaster, PA
Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts

bourbon makes everything better, not canadian whiskey

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries: oxy :-(
Keg 1: Brown Ale | Keg 2: Porter | Keg 3: Belgian Wit
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 10-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
mitch171
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Finger Lakes, NY
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

If you do age in a barrel it will be much longer than on chips. Even though there is more wood in a betray there is less end Grain which slows the process down and creates a superior product. Also plan on extra beer to top off the barrel since you will have to top it off sue to evaporation.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krenshaw View Post
bourbon makes everything better, not canadian whiskey
Canadian whiskey is the one and only whiskey, I know irishman that have moved here just to brag about our whiskey.
That is all.

Yes, the chips are quicker to age with which also make it more appealing.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
mitch171
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Finger Lakes, NY
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

More appealing if you are in a hurry less appealing if you want a more integrated texture and flavor.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
Huck-E-bear

Recipes 

Jun 2011
pooler, GA

Thanks guys. I will try the chips in my stout that's finishing up and see if that's the route I want to go. Buj I like the idea of barrel aging. Another thing is I have never heard of or had good canadien whiskey... bourbon and single malt scotchs!

Old 10-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Lancaster, PA
Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck-E-bear View Post
Thanks guys. I will try the chips in my stout that's finishing up and see if that's the route I want to go. Buj I like the idea of barrel aging. Another thing is I have never heard of or had good canadien whiskey... bourbon and single malt scotchs!
bazinga.. Huck-E-Bear, i like the way you think

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries: oxy :-(
Keg 1: Brown Ale | Keg 2: Porter | Keg 3: Belgian Wit
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 10-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck-E-bear View Post
lol it was somewhat of a joke, except I do believe canadian whisky is far better than any other. Forty creek whisky is heavenly. I will actually buy a bottle of a fine (expensive) canadian whisky and bring it down for you.
I must warn you I normally drink it to the bottom when with a friend.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:08 AM   #10
Huck-E-bear

Recipes 

Jun 2011
pooler, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzfest05

lol it was somewhat of a joke, except I do believe canadian whisky is far better than any other. Forty creek whisky is heavenly. I will actually buy a bottle of a fine (expensive) canadian whisky and bring it down for you.
I must warn you I normally drink it to the bottom when with a friend.
Don't you threaten me!! I will meet you with some of kentuckys finest!