Transfer from under foam to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

au1991rx

Reaction score
I just opened the primary bucket on a AHS Sunshine Wheat that has been in the primary for 8 days and no airlock activity for 4 days now. On the side of the bucket I can see where the krausen(?) used to be about 2.5 inches high on the bucket. Floating on top I have all of this thick foam which did not settle to the bottom (1/4 inch thick). Do I just rack from underneath the foam and leave it in the bottom of the bucket? I have only done about 7 ot 8 batches before and all have been clear on top and everything fell to the bottom in the primary, so I was surprised. It was White Labs American Hefeweizen yeast if that makes a difference.

Is it just like carbonation bubbles, or thick yeasty foam? It it's carbonation coming out of solution, it's probably close to done. Some people around here would tell you to just leave it for at least two weeks and then bottle it directly from the primary with a hefeweizen.

"Is it just like carbonation bubbles, or thick yeasty foam?"

Well, to be honest it is both.. It is a thick yeasty foam with little bubble clumps dispersed throughout.

Is the reason the suggestion is to rack from primary after 2 weeks because of the style of beer? It is supposed to be cloudy/yeasty right. Suppose I wanted to brew today and only have 1 primary and need to transfer anyway after 8 days. Does this affect the taste or will it just result in a clearer hefeweizen? Would I still just rack from under the foam? Thanks for the help.

Rack from under the foam. Two weeks in a secondary won't clear a hefe or change the taste, but that's how they are.

Back