The Walking dead - Page 134 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The Walking dead

Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #1331
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

Instead of a wall, why not have a wall AND a moat of flammable liquids? You could even use methanol if needbe. Panic button is you put a cigarette lighter to a trail of the stuff, and it ignites the walkers stuck in a 4' deep trench...

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #1332
Chemkrafty
Recipes 

May 2010
Charlotte, NC
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Instead of a wall, why not have a wall AND a moat of flammable liquids? You could even use methanol if needbe. Panic button is you put a cigarette lighter to a trail of the stuff, and it ignites the walkers stuck in a 4' deep trench...
Most flammable liquids are quite volatile and would not last very long in the moat waiting to be lit up. Plus who wants to dig a 4' deep moat around a compound when there is plenty of other work to do.

One thing that always bugged me was that they lured all those zombies in the jail and stabbed them through the fence. Why didn't they do a daily sweep of the exterior fence and kill the walkers there without issues? Or do the same thing inside...just lure them to the chosen fence and stab away through the fences?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #1333
45_70sharps

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Raymond, Washington
Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts

A moat should work well but if they don't have the heavy equipment, digging it could be a multi generation project with the amount of manpower they have.

If they have an excavator, the side cast material could be used to strengthen any walls against non zombies invaders.

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #1334
Punity
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2012
Cosi, Warshington
Liked 369 Times on 308 Posts

Methanol would evaporate fast so your zombie moat would work for a week or so. I would go corrosive such as hydrochloric, floric, sulfuric acid or sodium methlyate

Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #1335
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2012
Sterling, VA
Liked 2097 Times on 1314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemkrafty View Post
One thing that always bugged me was that they lured all those zombies in the jail and stabbed them through the fence. Why didn't they do a daily sweep of the exterior fence and kill the walkers there without issues? Or do the same thing inside...just lure them to the chosen fence and stab away through the fences?
deterrent; make outsiders think the prison is still overrun

I have a problem with leaving ANY zombies still walking. Dale got bit by the one Carl didn't kill. every walker you don't dispatch has the potential to infect more at a geometric rate. quicker you kill them off, the fewer fresh ones pop up and eventually the infection will run its course

drinking: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Fresh Squee Zed IPA - bottle conditioning: LoCo Foot Barleywine, Basque cider - lagering : Schwarzbier - fermenting: apple wine, Skeeter Pee - on deck: Grodziskie

Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #1336
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

BTW was I the only one excited to see that the head of the newcomers into the prison was none other than legendary muscle "Cutty" from the Wire?

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #1337
dudius

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Big Rapids, MI
Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
A moat should work well but if they don't have the heavy equipment, digging it could be a multi generation project with the amount of manpower they have.

If they have an excavator, the side cast material could be used to strengthen any walls against non zombies invaders.
I think with heavy equipment one could make a decent moat and fill it with plain old water and some flesh-eating fish. The walkers in TWD seem to exhibit some intelligence but I think any walker dumb enough to fall in would be dispatched by the fish. Add a draw-bridge and boom you've got a castle.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #1338
45_70sharps

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Raymond, Washington
Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudius View Post

I think with heavy equipment one could make a decent moat and fill it with plain old water and some flesh-eating fish. The walkers in TWD seem to exhibit some intelligence but I think any walker dumb enough to fall in would be dispatched by the fish. Add a draw-bridge and boom you've got a castle.
I man eating fish might be hard to come by where they are, but in the southwest alligators might be good. Unless eating zombies made them into gator zombies! That could be bad.

I think in the middle ages the moats were full of stagnant water a lot of the time.
People trying to invade would be susceptible to disease or at least life threatening infection in battle wounds.
That would be helpful in defending against other survivors who tried to overrun your base camp.

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 12-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #1339
dudius

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Big Rapids, MI
Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts

I figured gators would be good though idk how Georgia is in the winter. Id choose them in Florida though.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #1340
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Wilsonville, OR
Liked 2326 Times on 1621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
man eating fish might be hard to come by where they are
I know a guy

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club