Did I rack to secondary too soon? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Did I rack to secondary too soon?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
CanadianQuaffer
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 390
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts



Hey everybody,

Just racked a batch of pumpkin ale to secondary tonight and the gravity reading was at 1.020, OG was 1.046.

Will sitting in secondary for another 2 weeks take care of those last few points to get down to around 1.014 or am I gonna be stuck with an overly malty pumpkin ale?

Thanks,

Nick

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
MrManifesto
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 433
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


you'll probably be fine but it never hurts to leave it in the primary for a bit longer, it'll drop faster on the cake. i tend to err on the side of inaction when it comes to my brewing.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
CanadianQuaffer
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 390
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Yeah, I've noticed some activity in the airlock already and I only racked it about 30 minutes ago, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I think a SS conical and a refractometer might be on my Christmas list so I can take small gravity readings during fermentation.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
MrManifesto
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 433
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianQuaffer
Yeah, I've noticed some activity in the airlock already and I only racked it about 30 minutes ago, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I think a SS conical and a refractometer might be on my Christmas list so I can take small gravity readings during fermentation.
Do some research on refractometers, I've heard conflicting things. Conical huh? Playing with the big boys haha, I'm sticking to my buckets for now.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
JuanMoore
 
JuanMoore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
The Old Pueblo
Posts: 22,388
Liked 3738 Times on 3551 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianQuaffer View Post
Yeah, I've noticed some activity in the airlock already and I only racked it about 30 minutes ago, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I think a SS conical and a refractometer might be on my Christmas list so I can take small gravity readings during fermentation.
The airlock activity is most likely just CO2 coming out of solution from the beer being disturbed, but if you leave it alone for a while it should finish out fine. How long was it in primary before you racked it? Any particular reason you chose to use a secondary?

FWIW a refractometer is a great tool to have on brew day, but it's pretty useless after that. Once fermentation starts they're highly inaccurate because the alcohol throws the readings off. There are calculators online that will make adjustments to compensate for the alcohol, but it's still closer to an educated guess than an actual gravity reading.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
HumanGarbage
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
BC, Canada
Posts: 73
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I've stuck a couple by racking to secondary too early. I wouldn't worry about it because that is only a couple out of dozens of batches...

I would start skipping the secondary. It has made my life much easier. I find it cleans up a bit better the longer you keep it on the yeast cake. That and I got a bit of pedio once when racking into the secondary. Really turned me off it to have that happen, even though it was obviously my fault. I just decided to say screw it after that. I've never looked back since.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
windbreaker123
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
bfe, oh
Posts: 270
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
I would start skipping the secondary. It has made my life much easier. I find it cleans up a bit better the longer you keep it on the yeast cake. That and I got a bit of pedio once when racking into the secondary. Really turned me off it to have that happen, even though it was obviously my fault. I just decided to say screw it after that. I've never looked back since.
+1 and if your secondary is big enough make it another primary

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
Flomaster
 
Flomaster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Orange, Ca
Posts: 2,149
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
The airlock activity is most likely just CO2 coming out of solution from the beer being disturbed, but if you leave it alone for a while it should finish out fine. How long was it in primary before you racked it? Any particular reason you chose to use a secondary?

FWIW a refractometer is a great tool to have on brew day, but it's pretty useless after that. Once fermentation starts they're highly inaccurate because the alcohol throws the readings off. There are calculators online that will make adjustments to compensate for the alcohol, but it's still closer to an educated guess than an actual gravity reading.
not true, several people have calibrated the refratco and done side by side comparisons with a hydro and getting results that are with in a C**T hair apart.

-=Jason=-

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
BeerCrafter2011
 
BeerCrafter2011's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Plattsburgh, NY
Posts: 92
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


I actually just did this same thing on Sunday. I normally don't do secondaries, but people say if you dry hop, use a secondary. This was my first time dry-hopping. My gravity was 1.025 when I transferred. I'm not too worried because I got the yeast rings around the glass carboy several hours after transfer. I'm pretty sure there's activity. Unless, the yeast decided to all flocculate, but why would they do that because of the transfer?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:33 AM   #10
CanadianQuaffer
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 390
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


I've always done a secondary...I thought leaving the beer on the yeast cake for too long after the yeast goes dormant can result in off flavours?
Also my primary fermentors are buckets...if I leave them in there for too long can't oxygen get though the plastic? Maybe I should just rack to my carboys for now.

So you gus are saying I can leave them in one vessel for the full 3 week fermentation period?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Secondary Fermentation - To Rack or Not to Rack ryankf All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 155 01-21-2016 08:45 PM
Rack to Secondary When? BrewerinBR All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 03-10-2011 09:45 PM
Is it safe to rack to secondary? pksmitty All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 12-09-2009 03:35 PM
Rack to fruit in secondary or add at the end of boil? Shinglejohn All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 01-24-2009 08:10 PM
Should I Rack this to Secondary? jcarson83 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 02-21-2007 12:25 AM


Forum Jump