HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Automotive gas tank overflow
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #1
Aunt_Ester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia
Posts: 239
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default Automotive gas tank overflow

So I was pumping gas and the pump kept shutting off every few seconds. After I filled the tank I was unsure whether my tank was full or if the pump was playing games again. I ended up over filling my tank and the surplus got all over on the inside of the gas cover area. I reported the fuel spillage to the attendant and he cleaned it up promptly, but should I have done anything to clean the inside of my gas cap area?
Aunt_Ester is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kh54s10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 7,745
Liked 806 Times on 681 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

Yeah! you can burn that of by lighting it with a match.

Really? wipe it out with a paper towel or just let it evaporate. NO SMOKING!
kh54s10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
Homercidal
Badass Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 25,792
Liked 2935 Times on 2055 Posts
Likes Given: 1791

Default

Don't worry about the gas cap area, but it might be bad if enough of it ran down into the vapour return area and plugged it up. Got that info from Car Talk.

I think the odds are pretty low though. Just wash the car good and it should be ok.
Homercidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,099
Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Don't worry about the gas cap area, but it might be bad if enough of it ran down into the vapour return area and plugged it up. Got that info from Car Talk.

I think the odds are pretty low though. Just wash the car good and it should be ok.
Over time, overfilling a tank on a newer vehicle is not good, ask me how I know that.

Go to a car wash and blast it off, it can rust if not taken care, ask me how I know that.

_
wildwest450 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,456
Liked 206 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Default

There is a possibility, depending on the vehicle that overfilling can cause the evap system to be overwhelmed and gas can be forced into the charcoal canister, leading to drivability issues and possibly damage to the fuel system or to the engine itself.

Say you drive a 2006 or newer Kia Spectra, overfilling will lead to the need to replace the charcoal canister, evap filter, purge valve, canister close valve and the fuel tank assy due to damage to the OVR valve inside the tank.

I replace an awful lot of these, a couple thousand to fix a problem caused by topping up or rounding up the total once the gas pump shut off. your issue was due to a wonky pump, and hopefully you are in the clear repair wise, just clean up the spill and wax the area if possible.
__________________
Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing
azscoob is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:08 AM   #6
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Airplanedoc's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Illinois, Outside the peoples Republic of Madigan
Posts: 1,913
Liked 392 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Go to a car wash and blast it off, it can rust if not taken care, ask me how I know that.
Plastic doesn't rust. Most new cars don't have enough metal in the body to rust.

Quote:
Say you drive a 2006 or newer Kia Spectra, overfilling will lead to the need to replace the charcoal canister, evap filter, purge valve, canister close valve and the fuel tank assy due to damage to the OVR valve inside the tank.
Remind me not to got one of those
Airplanedoc is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
sacrifice
Huh?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Juneau, AK
Posts: 589
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt_Ester View Post
I reported the fuel spillage to the attendant
LOL. Fail. You call the EPA every time you pass gas also? Or, do you purchase carbon offset credits every time you ferment a beer (which produces quite a bit of CO2)?

LOL

sacrifice is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
SwampassJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 2,161
Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrifice View Post
LOL. Fail. You call the EPA every time you pass gas also? Or, do you purchase carbon offset credits every time you ferment a beer (which produces quite a bit of CO2)?

LOL

Do us a favor and go huff some fumes.
__________________
BLAH BLAH BLAH
SwampassJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,099
Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanedoc View Post
Plastic doesn't rust. Most new cars don't have enough metal in the body to rust.
Thanks for the science lesson, some cars still have metal in them, and yes metal soaked in gas does rust over time.



Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
There is a possibility, depending on the vehicle that overfilling can cause the evap system to be overwhelmed and gas can be forced into the charcoal canister, leading to drivability issues and possibly damage to the fuel system or to the engine itself.
You have to overfill way more than once to have an issue, my truck took 200,000 miles plus to throw an engine code on it. I also kinda doubt the engine damage issue, it now has 325,000 miles on it. I did notice a slight drop in mileage, but that's about it.

_
wildwest450 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
Domminigan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Domminigan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 390
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrifice View Post
You call the EPA every time you pass gas also?
Yes. Every time I do, it knocks the local air quality down a few percent.
__________________
"For beer, that's not what 'import' means. For beer, import just means better."
Domminigan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
calling on you automotive experts again! android General Chit Chat 25 09-28-2010 07:41 PM
fix gas tank with JB Weld ? kappclark General Chit Chat 3 08-06-2010 06:31 PM
Any Automotive experts in the house? android General Chit Chat 28 04-07-2010 05:33 PM
Automotive: CV joint gone with boot intact...? beergears General Chit Chat 10 02-04-2008 02:18 PM
Fish Tank Donasay General Chit Chat 6 01-30-2008 04:00 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS