Best Heating Method Inside Small Chest Freezer - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Best Heating Method Inside Small Chest Freezer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #21
rshortt
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Nova Scotia
Posts: 178
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Paint can heater, google it. Its a light bulb of your wattage choice mounted inside an aluminum paint can. Simple build. I've been using one in my ferm chamber for a long time and it works great, nice and gentle heat.
__________________
On tap:
Redemption RIS, Oatmeal Stout, Conan APA, Ordinary Bitter, Cerveza Mas Fria
Fermenting:
Dartmouth Pilsner

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #22
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Albany, NY
Posts: 1,395
Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rshortt
Paint can heater, google it. Its a light bulb of your wattage choice mounted inside an aluminum paint can. Simple build. I've been using one in my ferm chamber for a long time and it works great, nice and gentle heat.
+1.

This coupled with a stc-1000 makes for great temperature control at a cheap price.

Use a 60 watt bulb, works great. A 100 watt bulb gets the paint can way too hot.
__________________

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),


 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:10 AM   #23
inamays
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 44
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997

+1.

This coupled with a stc-1000 makes for great temperature control at a cheap price.

Use a 60 watt bulb, works great. A 100 watt bulb gets the paint can way too hot.
+2 my exact setup and it works like a champ in an outdoor, uninsulated storage shed.
__________________
Untappd: jmaysnc | Twitter: jmaysnc

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #24
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 26,076
Liked 6807 Times on 4023 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OKHopHead View Post
I just bought one of these for this winter: http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-MyHeat-P...8615541&sr=8-1
Hah, that's the exact one I use. 200W, fan, perfect. Note that it doesn't have a thermostat, so either you plug it into a controller or spend a few more bucks and get one with the thermostat.

For less than $20, why kludge a light bulb inside a paint can?
__________________
- Andrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #25
ThatGeekGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
ThatGeekGuy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 448
Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cfonnes View Post
I use this heating pad. Very satisfied with results.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWE...ATER-P518.aspx
Ordered one last night, looks like the perfect solution to my fermentation chamber in winter.
__________________
Primary 1: Lonely
Primary 2: Lonely
Secondary 1: Orange Mead (Made Jan. 2013)
On Tap #1: Stormy Monday IIPA
On Tap #2: Mild Thing English Brown
On Deck: Thinking....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #26
lagisforeplay
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Albuqerque, New Mexico
Posts: 18
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Hah, that's the exact one I use. 200W, fan, perfect. Note that it doesn't have a thermostat, so either you plug it into a controller or spend a few more bucks and get one with the thermostat.

For less than $20, why kludge a light bulb inside a paint can?

I bought this as well. For $17 shipped (prime ftw) and comes with a fan. It works perfectly in my ferm chamber.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
chest freezer Aschecte Kegerators & Keezers 1 07-21-2011 06:32 PM
1.25" hole to small for Home Depot heating element...anyone have a quick fix? Ranger9913 Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 6 02-22-2010 01:45 AM
Plug/outlet inside the chest freezer BeerLane Fermenters 6 09-03-2009 04:47 PM
Small chest freezer daytondb Kegerators & Keezers 11 01-05-2009 10:02 PM
Is a 5 cubic ft. chest freezer too small for 2 cornies? Saerf Kegerators & Keezers 3 10-15-2008 11:34 PM


Forum Jump