Spent grains... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Spent grains...

Old 10-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
Jun 2008
Tacoma, Wa
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I brewed an all grain pale ale yesterday and didn't get around to cleaning up the grains in the mash tun cooler until today. Good lord is that an awful smell! Anybody know the reason why? Took my breath away. This is the second time I didn't have time to clean it up. Last time was a pumpkin ale which I attributed the smell to the pumpkin, man was in wrong.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Oct 2009
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I'm fairly certain its the lactobacillus from the grain munching on the leftovers that is producing the hellacious stink associated with spent grains.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
Oct 2009
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

What IffyG said....= Rotting grain

Old 10-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
Sep 2010
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

you can make a sour beer with it!

Old 10-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #5
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3192 Times on 1885 Posts

Lactobasillus stinks to high heaven. And will take hold within a few hours, as soon as the grain drops below pasturization temps.

I once got nearly attacted by a pack of LLamas for trying to feed them few days old, stored in the freezer, spent grain, that started to thaw on the hour drive in the summer.

I almost died, I swear......

Lamma spit ain't fun.
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew