Giving up on oaked beers... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Giving up on oaked beers...

Old 04-15-2007, 01:05 AM   #1
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts

I've had four oaked beers. La Musette by Allagash, Madrugada Obscura by Jolly Pumpkin, and two others I can't recall.

I hated all of them. In general, they ranged from "Pretty Gross" to "Downright Undrinkable". I'm giving up. I don't like the oak flavor in beer.

I did thoroughly enjoy one or two "Bourbon Barrel" stouts though... So what gives?

Old 04-15-2007, 02:10 AM   #2
Yeast Infection
Recipes 

Feb 2007
Boulder, CO

is the oak in oaked beers charred or toasted like a Bourbon barrle is?

Old 04-15-2007, 02:24 AM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Try them again in 7 years. Tastes are like that.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 04-15-2007, 02:25 AM   #4
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Nov 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeast Infection
No... I probably like the burnt oak because it is the sweet taste of the destruction of oak, oak being a taste which is vile and foul. Sort of an enemy of an enemy is a friend sort of thing, I suppose...

Old 04-15-2007, 02:40 AM   #5
WOP31

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeast Infection
I would have to say yes, I can't seem to find any coopers that don't char/toast their barrels. Also what i have come across is many smaller brewery will use old wine barrels or wiskey/bourbon barrels.

Cheers

Old 04-15-2007, 03:13 AM   #6
Rook

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Bothell, WA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This has kept me from trying the Oaked Arrogant bastard. I like AB as is, it is a little bit malty so not quite my normal preference, but I just think the oaky taste would ruin that beer. I'm with you man.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:17 AM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook
This has kept me from trying the Oaked Arrogant bastard. I like AB as is, it is a little bit malty so not quite my normal preference, but I just think the oaky taste would ruin that beer. I'm with you man.
Don't be skerred.

If you like AB, you'll like the Oaked AB. It is very subtle oak, in fact it smoothes out the beer some. I heard a quote by the CEO of Stone saying "Oaked AB is like AB in a tux". I think that is a fitting description for it. I wish I had more of the stuff.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-15-2007, 03:21 AM   #8
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Nov 2006

What's that brewery? Great Divide?

I had their oaked Yeti Imperial Stout. That one was merely gross, not disgustingly undrinkable like one or two of the others I had.

And it's weird. I like to think I have a pretty good palate, with a tolerance for a variety of tastes.. but man oh man... oak character, to me, tastes like licking a 9 volt battery.... which is followed by a hint of upset stomach. Blech!!!!

Old 04-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
brewt00l
Recipes 

Dec 2006
Doylestown, PA
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
What's that brewery? Great Divide?

I had their oaked Yeti Imperial Stout. That one was merely gross, not disgustingly undrinkable like one or two of the others I had.

And it's weird. I like to think I have a pretty good palate, with a tolerance for a variety of tastes.. but man oh man... oak character, to me, tastes like licking a 9 volt battery.... which is followed by a hint of upset stomach. Blech!!!!

I would agree with you on that one. The bottle of oaked yeti that I had was borderline undrinkable as the oak was downright overwhelming.

Other oak aged beers that I recall having recently: muesette (tap), oaked AB (bottle) and burton baton (bottle) were all significantly more subtle on the oaking.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #10
HenryHill

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Perry, MI
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Big difference in putting a few small oak chips in, and putting the whole wort in an oak barrel. Maybe the barrel thing is just too much?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD