Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > Introductions > 6 weeks, 5 batches in, I'm addicted

Old 10-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
ReuFroman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default 6 weeks, 5 batches in, I'm addicted

About 6 weeks ago I was selling a beer fridge on craigslist and sold it to a home brewer. He didn't have a truck to take it home so he paid me in a few growlers of home brew to deliver it. While delivering it (and sampling home-brews) he said he would teach me to all grain brew. So I came a few days later and helped brew. We made a nut brown variation. It's awesome. The next week I wanted to try. So I read the two most popular books on brewing and came back the next Friday with all the supplies and did my first all grain brew. It is an amazing Irish red. so the next week we did a stout. The week after that i made pumpkin and last week did another pumpkin because the primary tasted great and 5 gallons just wasn't enough. So I have been "head" brewer in 3 batches and asst brewer on 2 batches.

Why didn't anyone tell me this was so damn addictive?

tick_daddy Likes This 
Old 10-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
subjockey
Recipes 

cool story. And yes, it is addictive. I haven't even tasted my first batch and I'm counting funds to buy a second fermenter to get another one going.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
tick_daddy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I don't care what they say about heroin, homebrewing has GOT to be more addictive.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
ReuFroman
Recipes 

My wife, soon to be wife actually (45 days), says it best,
"Go crazy, you love it, go really crazy."

I guess it doesn't help that I live in Micro Brewery Heaven. A little town Fort Collins, Colorado.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
cthulu1975
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

They brew coors there right? *drunk* at a stone fest.....

Old 10-15-2011, 03:40 AM   #6
ReuFroman
Recipes 

Yeah and bud is in town. There are a few other breweries in town that took home some metals at the gabf. 9 within 15 minute drive.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:28 AM   #7
Vernacular
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default In the vernacular...

One batch into the "hobby", a dark Irish stout that is nearly half consumed already. Imagine that!

I have a desire to brew up a lighter colored stout, oatmeal, using apple cider in the mix, replacing some of the water. Would more than welcome any advice about a ratio of cider to water. I'm thinking two gallons of water (enough to steep the wort) and the balance in cider...

Old 10-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
OzziePete
Recipes 

Great story....... should have kept the fridge, it might be handy now

Old 10-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #9
ReuFroman
Recipes 

Yeah I have another one that the neighbors gave me. So it all worked out in the end.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:50 AM   #10
Dilligans
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuFroman View Post
About 6 weeks ago I was selling a beer fridge on craigslist and sold it to a home brewer. He didn't have a truck to take it home so he paid me in a few growlers of home brew to deliver it. While delivering it (and sampling home-brews) he said he would teach me to all grain brew. So I came a few days later and helped brew. We made a nut brown variation. It's awesome. The next week I wanted to try. So I read the two most popular books on brewing and came back the next Friday with all the supplies and did my first all grain brew. It is an amazing Irish red. so the next week we did a stout. The week after that i made pumpkin and last week did another pumpkin because the primary tasted great and 5 gallons just wasn't enough. So I have been "head" brewer in 3 batches and asst brewer on 2 batches.

Why didn't anyone tell me this was so damn addictive?
Its very addictive. I started out brewing extract and did that for about a year. Now I am brewing all grain and have not stopped... some advice I can give you that I was very very resistant to at first. I always followed directions by adding beer to secondary fermenter about a week later. I even had a post explaining that not racking beer to secondary was lazy. I was wrong again.. then for humor sake and to clear my mind I left a batch in primary for three weeks then racked to keg... dammmmmm it was the best beer I have ever had... It was full of flavor and no off flavors. So my advice to you leave it in the primary for at least 3 weeks 5 if you can stand it... then carefully rack it to bottleing bucket or keg... You will not be dissappointed. I thanks Revvy for that.... even though he thinks I am a Troll (asshole).