National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What would you do? ...Disappearing Beer

Old 10-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #11
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2911 Times on 2840 Posts
Likes Given: 139

I would chalk it up to your mistake for leaving something like that out with contractors and other roommates in the house. Let it go and consider it a lesson learned. It's beer. Yes, you're annoyed or even pissed, but you left it sitting out essentially for the grabbing.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 10-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Homercidal
Badass Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3018 Times on 2107 Posts
Likes Given: 1835

Who the F is shtty enough to steal from someone??

The proper course of action would be to strike up a conversation with the person and subtly inquire about the apparent drink. Good chance the brewer would be kind enough to share a bottle.

Stealing it is just shtty. Hope they get sick, but it's probably going to be pretty good stuff!

I'd still try and get hold of the contractor and ask if they know anything about it. Maybe give them some information that sounds like they might get sick from drinking it.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
BigTerp
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I would chalk it up to your mistake for leaving something like that out with contractors and other roommates in the house. Let it go and consider it a lesson learned. It's beer. Yes, you're annoyed or even pissed, but you left it sitting out essentially for the grabbing.
This is BS. Yes, I agree a few bottle of homebrew isn't really something to get to worked up about. But the fact remains that it was STOLEN. It's not the OP's fault that he left something out in his own house, but the POS who stole it. I hate thieves!!!!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I disagree. Yes, he should have put things away, but to assume you're inviting a bunch of thieves into your home because it needs repair isn't right. These contractors regularly go into people's homes. If they can't be trusted, they need to be called out. It's easy to say, "**** it, it's just "x" when "x" isn't yours" It's a whole 'nother matter when people stole your "x"

I'm sure the owner of the business would like to know, too. At the least he deserves a non- accusation phone call to describe the situation the OP has posted.

This is assuming the OP has ruled everyone else out as potential suspects, of course.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #15
Bmorebrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm shocked that some people have no real issue with this and are not able to see this as theft, plain and simple. It was OPs property, left in his home, and was taken without permission by someone. His home was violated. I know I would be raising holy hell about this. Somebody has displayed a clear propensity for stealing and it should not be tolerated. Was anything else taken? Will anything else be taken the next time?

Personally, I tend to think I have a no tolerance personal property when it comes to theft. My property is mine. Mine to keep or give away as I see fit. I would make this an issue.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #16
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Welp, Looks like I jumped the gun and I am glad I did some digging with the roomates. Turns out the landlord's boyfriend assumed it was my oktoberfest (worst beer I ever brewed but that id a story for another day) that I had left in the kitchen for everybody to enjoy. So I am trading them and entire case of my oktoberfest for the bottles back

I also have the last 6 pack of my pale ale and a six pack of applewine ready to give to the contractors to clear my conscience from suspecting them!

I am glad this spurred some debate so feel free to carry it on in a hypothetical sense!

Old 10-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #17
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1174 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 2275

Sorry for the theft of your stuff. We all know how bad that can make you feel.

You will feel better in a little bit, it won't seem quite as bad as it does now. Be careful that whatever follow up you do is appropriate, proportionate, to the theft of a few bottles of beer.

Edit: Thanks for the update, glad it wasn't what you thought it was!

Old 10-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #18
Bradinator
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Hypothetically: If the contractors are already gone its a bit late to approach them but if they are still around request they stop stealing your things (I would use the threat of calling their company/BBB/police, etc and lodging a theft complaint).

They are being hired out by the landlord right? Mention it to him they stole beer from your home and you are extremely unhappy that hired (and most likely bonded) contractors stole. Request the name of the company, etc and again state your lodging a complaint. Any decent company would do something about it to prevent word getting out that they have untrustworthy employees.

Reality: Glad to here it was just your landlords boyfriend and it all worked out (sort of) in the end!

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews

Reason: Read your latest...

Old 10-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #19
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This may or may not have been the contractors, a knowledgable room mate may have seen this as an opertunity to make off with some good beers with the promise of never being caught.

If it was me, I would ask my room mates if they mind if I were to put up a small 2 drawer file cabinet in the living room. These can be gotten VERY reasonably and everyone I have seen has had a lock of some kind on it. This should help in keeping everyone honest and give you a safe and secure place to age/store your beverages. This is the cost of living with room mates.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #20
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
This may or may not have been the contractors, a knowledgable room mate may have seen this as an opertunity to make off with some good beers with the promise of never being caught.

If it was me, I would ask my room mates if they mind if I were to put up a small 2 drawer file cabinet in the living room. These can be gotten VERY reasonably and everyone I have seen has had a lock of some kind on it. This should help in keeping everyone honest and give you a safe and secure place to age/store your beverages. This is the cost of living with room mates.
Wow, great suggestion! I don't need to keep my roomates honest since I give them free access to my beers at all times once I approve them for carbonation and conditioning. But one of the metal file cabinets to store the beer is a awesome idea. It would hide all the bottles instead of having a case and a milk crate stacked in the corner...plus it would be so cool to have a file cabinet labeled "Wee Heavy, Stout, Pale Ale, English Mild" haha