new to kegging... very stupid question - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > new to kegging... very stupid question

Old 10-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
BmillaTheBrewzilla

Recipes 

Jun 2010
Chicago
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey everyone-

A couple weeks ago I kegged my first batch of beer after bottling for a long time. I have my keg in a kegerator, but I'm not running the beer out through a draft tower or anything like that. It is just being dispensed through the beer line out through a plastic faucet. It is the set-up that came from Northern Brewer.

My question is... do you leave the beer line full of beer all the time? After I'm done pouring into a glass, there is beer filling the line from the keg up to the dispensing plastic faucet thing. I imagine this is normal... but I also wonder if it takes a couple months to get through a keg (hypothetically of course ) then the beer might start to get a little funky? Does everyone pretty much leave the line as it is until a keg is kicked?

Old 10-13-2011, 02:16 AM   #2
springer

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Wappingers falls NY
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

I never drain the line. I have 6 taps going all the time I clean the line and tap every 4th or 5th keg

Old 10-13-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
DannPM
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Pittsburg, KS
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

I also leave it on, but I do flush them every other keg or so.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Lancaster, PA
Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts

as long as its refrigerated then it'll be fine.. not much different sitting in the line than sitting in the keg.. each time you pour a beer that beer in the line is replaced with new beer so the same beer is never sitting in the line for any considerable length of time..

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries: oxy :-(
Keg 1: Brown Ale | Keg 2: Porter | Keg 3: Belgian Wit
Bottles: lots full and even more empty