Imperial IPA/Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrew1989

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
California V
Yeast Starter
n/a
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
90-100
Color
Light Brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days, 60-75 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14, 60-75 degrees
Additional Fermentation
Bottle Conditioning
Tasting Notes
Very bitter on the back end, no carbonation, still sweet from priming sugar
Hey, I was attempting to make a 5 gal IPA and instead ended up with a 4 gal nearly Barleywine. This is only my second batch and I haven't been taking gravity readings (like I will next time) but using an online calculator I figure this beer is sitting at 9%. I have already tried this beer after a week (I know, I'm eager!) of conditioning, and it is pretty much flat. I'm realizing now that it may be too much for the yeast. Any experience with California V and alcohol tolerance? Any hope for my flat beer? Will it finish conditioning after several more weeks?

Any thoughts will help. Thanks!

Over 5% alcohol is considered toxic to yeast. Even at 9% though you are not killing them right away. It takes a while. With a proper pitch rate it should be capable of 12%, maybe 15%. Give it at least 3 months and try another.

I'm sure the yeast are probably cranky, but not dead. Just give it time to mellow and re-yeast at bottling

I'm sure the yeast are probably cranky, but not dead. Just give it time to mellow and re-yeast at bottling

It is already bottled and I did not re-pitch. There was a significant amount of yeast still in suspension and stirred up during transfer, so I expected that would be enough. I will know re-pitch at bottling from now on. I've had bottles that were well carbonated before without re-pitching yeast, but it wasn't nearly as big of a beer as this. Would rousing the yeast by turning the bottles help?

Thanks for the advice, guys. After two weeks it is about 3/4 carbonated and bubbles pretty good, although there's still a bit of residual sweetness from priming sugar. I guess I've just got to be patient. It's hard when you're first starting out and you don't have a homebrew reserve to drink from.

JBrew1989 said:
It is already bottled and I did not re-pitch. There was a significant amount of yeast still in suspension and stirred up during transfer, so I expected that would be enough. I will know re-pitch at bottling from now on. I've had bottles that were well carbonated before without re-pitching yeast, but it wasn't nearly as big of a beer as this. Would rousing the yeast by turning the bottles help?

You don't need to repitch at bottling except in high alcohol beers. A standard beer should be fine. I would only repitch if beers were past 10% personally. I've never had problems not repitching on my higher FG beers (~1.090ish). They just take a bit longer to properly carb but you should be letting it condition a little longer anyways

Back