Winter Seasonal Beer Christmas in Belgium - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Winter Seasonal Beer Christmas in Belgium

Old 10-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #31

Brewing this up again this Sunday!!!! I'm getting 10 gallons this time! Hope it lasts thru this year's XMAS party!!!

Old 10-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #32
VulgarCelt
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

My brew starts Saturday morning. I am pretty excited about this one. I intend for it to be a surprise for the guests at our party.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #33

I'm sure they will love it!

Old 10-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #34
snowboarda42
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Starbucks, WA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Am I reading this as being fermented for ~56 days?

Old 10-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarda42 View Post
Am I reading this as being fermented for ~56 days?
I ferment for 2 weeks then rack and ferment 2 weeks more. I then keg and fridge for as long as I can stand it! Not really fermenting but rather lagering is a better term......

Old 10-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #36
VulgarCelt
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Wait so you aren't following the same fermentation schedule anymore? What are your time / temps now? This is headed to bottle. I'm not kegging yet...

Old 10-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarCelt View Post
Wait so you aren't following the same fermentation schedule anymore? What are your time / temps now? This is headed to bottle. I'm not kegging yet...
Didn't really change anything. I ferment for a month then carb and keep in the fridge for another month. The recipe format calls it "additional fermentation" but that's not really true. If you bottle, do the 2 week primary and 2 week secondary. That should give the yeast time to clean up after themselves and give the flavors a chance to meld. Then bottle.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #38
VulgarCelt
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah58 View Post
Didn't really change anything. I ferment for a month then carb and keep in the fridge for another month. The recipe format calls it "additional fermentation" but that's not really true. If you bottle, do the 2 week primary and 2 week secondary. That should give the yeast time to clean up after themselves and give the flavors a chance to meld. Then bottle.
Awesome. Thank you very much for the advice.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #39
VulgarCelt
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah58 View Post
So I pitched at 64 and set the fermenter to 66. This went absolutely nuts for a good 3 days. I slowly (2 deg a day) brought this up to 72 which is where its at now and activity has slowed considerably.

Its been a week this upcoming Saturday and I plan to leave it there for another week. The question I had was should I drop the temp in the fermenter for the two weeks of the secondary / clearing step? I saw you had 40F on there but I wasn't sure if that was after bottling.

Any help would be appreciated...

Old 10-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #40

Let it ride in the 70's thru the rest of primary and secondary. I drop into the 40's after keging. If you bottle you'll have to carb up first then condition if desired. I like clear belgians. Easier to do when in a keg.