Hop spider woes solved! In stainless! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks > Hop spider woes solved! In stainless!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
jeffdietzler
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Riverside, California
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Back when I started brewing, I used hop "socks" for my hop additions and had a little trouble fishing them out at the end of the brewing session. Nothing major, but I thought to myself, "There has to be a better way..."

And then I found build threads for hop spiders. I made one with a PVC coupling like many here and it worked perfectly... Until it started raining mid- brewing session. I put the lid on the pot and waited for my bittering hops minutes to run out. When I removed the lid I found this:

My spider had melted!?! I tried turning it upside down for the aroma hops period, but it didn’t straighten itself back out. What to do? Back to the socks?

A few weeks pass and I’m wandering around Lowe’s looking for things that could be incorporated into my “brewery” and I found a solution: the stainless drain for a garbage disposal. Cost - $15 or so. And it even has a lip to help hold the hose clamp on!

So now I have an all stainless hop spider:

And all is right with the world again…

Edit: found a link to the garbage disposal flange for those who are interested.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Reason: added link to flange

People Like This 
Old 10-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Spanish Fort, AL
Liked 708 Times on 426 Posts

Nice!
"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
SwampassJ

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts

OMFG, I'm building this for my next brew.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
chezhed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Mission, TX
Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts

What problem did you have with the socks? I've tried a spider...I prefer the socks...If I need to fish them out, I simply use long stainless tongs that have been sitting in my sterilizing solution. I just don't think, and it's purely an opinion, that multiple hops additons with short time lapses (as in Dogfish 60 minute) do very well in the spider method. I drop socks and push 'em under to get them wet quickly. The spider just seems to make a clogged area.
www.rgvbrew.com

Old 10-13-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
jeffdietzler
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Riverside, California
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I didn't have a huge problem a huge problem with the socks.

If you've seen my thread about my CFC vacuum pump into the carboy, my wort sits in the BK after flameout and slowly gets transferred over to the carboy. It takes a fair amount of time to transfer because I throttle the wort to make sure it gets cooled down to pitching temp. I was worried that my aroma hops that were supposed to only be in for one minute would stay in the wort too long if I "lost" one... Sometimes those socks can be surprisingly hard to find!

So I built a hop spider. And I use it for steeping grains, mini mashes, and all the hop additions. I also like how it sits over the center of the boil and the hops get swirled around by the bubbles.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
ekjohns
Recipes 

May 2009
IL
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

when i use those cheap 50 cent socks they let a lot of hop particles escape were a paint bag will do a better job

Old 10-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
bmeyer46
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Tipton, Missouri
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

my hop spider did the same thing! I'll definitely check for the thing you used next time I'm in lowes. Did you need anything special to drill through the stainless steel?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
nate456789
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Indianapolis, Indiana
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Nice!
I will be converting mine. Never liked the pvc that close to my boiling wort.
Kegged: Falconer's APA, Honey Brown Ale, Guinness Draught

Old 10-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
jeffdietzler
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Riverside, California
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeyer46 View Post
my hop spider did the same thing! I'll definitely check for the thing you used next time I'm in lowes. Did you need anything special to drill through the stainless steel?
I used the step bit that I have for drilling holes for fittings. I think I picked it up at Harbor Freight but I'm not sure. It's the same one that everyone on here uses to make holes in their pots for fittings...

Old 10-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
Toecutter

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Riverside, ca
Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Would that have been the Lowes on Magnolia and Harrison ??

On Tap: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen, Toecutters Honey HPA

Fermenting: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen