Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beating a dead horse here...

Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
AUMonkeyBoy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Beating a dead horse here...

I've searched, but couldn't find a definitive answer to how much Pumpkin Spice I should add to my Wilde Hogge Amber Ale. I am going to bottle half before I add McCormicks Pumpkin Pie Spice...How much should I had for 2.5 gallons.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I add all spices into the boil @ 15 minutes. I would have no idea how to add them as you are asking however you may want to consider using some spices and sugar to "rim the glass" like a magarita. I have had more than 1 pumpkin beer this way and some actually benifit GREATLY from this technique IMO.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Try adding a bit to a glass of beer until it tastes right then estimate how much for a gallon. Brew a batch and split at least some into 2 1-gallon fermenters and add the amount you calculated to one, and half that to another. Some of these spices can be really strong and it just might be too heartbreaking to waste a full 5 gallons.

B

Old 10-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Depending on how and when you add spices they offer different flavors. Some spices benefit from the "cooked flavor" of being boiled, some are better steeped in a secondary, others benefit from being extracted with alcohol and added in measured amounts.

At this point I'd add say a teaspoon or two of spices to a couple ounces of vodka then straining through a coffee filter after 3-6 days, and then add them to taste based off of a smaller measured addition to a sample.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #5
AUMonkeyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was to eager and added a table spoon to two gallons. I have a good feeling it'll be delicious.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
TopherM
BJCP ID: F0838
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 442 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I added 5 tablespoons to my last pumpkin ale for 5 gallons, and it tasted like liquid pumpkin pie. The recipe called for 2 tablespoons.

For 2.5 gallons, I would do 1 tablespoon if you want it to be subtle, up to 3 tablespoons if you want it to be more prominant.
Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 10-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The excellent thunderstruck pumpkin ale recipe from Yuri rage was 1tblsp for 6 gallons steeped in 1 cup warm (previously boiled) water (I think it was a cup) and that was the perfect amount for what turned out for me as a 5 gallon batch.

I'd do .5 tblsp and see how you like the flavor, if thats not enough, then add more. As the old adage goes, you can always add flavor but you can't take it back.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
SIXFOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow, some of you guys really loaded in the spice. I used about 1 tablespoon to the water for my priming sugar and heated it close to a boil while stiring and then put that in the bottling bucket. Tasted great, just bottled last night so got a bit to go.

Bottled; Octoberfest Lager, SalmonFest Lager, Big Head Red, Boca Bitch Gluetin Free, Belgian Wit, Dark Knight Sweet Stout, American Pale, Boca Brown Ale