Mint additions to beer - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mint additions to beer

Old 10-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
Geobrewer85
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Beaverton, OR

Was just thinking about making a chocolate mint stout. Has anyone ever added mint to their beer? If so when do u add the mint? Is it like a dry hopping type deal or do u add it at the end of the boil?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

The only recipes I've seen people happy with went more along the lines of using something like peppermint extract.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
JefeTheVol

Recipes 

Aug 2009
Memphis, TN
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Ive had a Mint Porter before...They used real mint leaves and soaked them in vodka and added it to the secondary (or was it bottling time?). All I know is that it tasted great but the brewer said the flavor fades pretty fast, so aging is a no, no.
-Jeff-

-May the IBU's be with you-

Old 10-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Liked 273 Times on 209 Posts

I brew a chocolate mint milk stout, I use 1 oz of fresh mint leaves chopped and added to the boil in the last 5 minutes, and at kegging I use another 1 oz that I soaked in everclear to extract the mint flavor, strain through a coffee filter and into the keg it goes.

I really like the flavor, not overwelming like a thin mint, but more in the aroma and just a hint in background of the beer.

I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper

Old 10-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Zamial

Recipes 

Apr 2010
WI
Liked 176 Times on 157 Posts

I have a peppermint baltic chocolate porter that has been aging since last Febuary that I am giving out as X-mas gifts. I sampled one a few weeks ago and the peppermint seems to have faded just a tiny bit, which is right were I wanted it. It tastes like a Mint chocolate Andie's candy mint. I used a little extract and some peppermint schnapps. I used a little of each and varied it to taste.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
Geobrewer85
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Beaverton, OR

Anyone have a good recipe I can play around with?

Old 10-10-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
stbnj
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Little Egg Harbor, NJ
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I just brewed a 2.5 gallon batch of chocolate mint stout using roughly this recipe http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/ande...-stout-207277/ . I made a few tweaks and used pacman yeast harvested from a bottle of chocolate stout. I purchased that bottle because I made several mint teas, using extract, mint tea, peppermint tea, and fresh tea leaves then tried each in a little chocolate stout. Like the Andes recipe I settled on peppermint tea bags, I put 5 in a muslin bag for the last 10 minutes of the boil and the smell was great, the hydrometer sample also had a nice cooling mint taste. I also used 2.5 oz of all natural (not dutched) cocoa.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #8
Beezy
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

I have chocolate mint growing at my house. Defo going to make one of these next year.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #9
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Liked 273 Times on 209 Posts

Here is a good one:
With the addition of milk sugar I pretty much brew this dead nuts, except I split the roasted barley addition with roasted barley and debittered black malt, it gives a nice depth without getting bitter, since I brew a milk stout, I want the bitter on the down low.

I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper