Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > leak: black ball lock quick disconnect

Old 10-17-2011, 11:39 PM   #11
KCBigDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacdan View Post
You can buy a new one for $8 or less. You should try that.
That's the plan, but I'm gun shy to leave everything hooked up all the time in my keezer. Losing a whole batch of some ass kicking braggott made with fresh local clover honey sucks balls!

Old 10-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
Xtian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

unfortunately, at least on mine, it isn't the quick disconnect. I've tried the keg on four QD's and it leaks out of the head of all four. but when I switch it out onto another keg, it doesn't leak. has something to do with the ball lock on the keg, the the quick disconnect that is making it leak out the side. Weird thing is, when it isn't connected to the QD the keg does not leak. I'll have to transfer the beer then check the ball lock.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #13
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtian View Post
unfortunately, at least on mine, it isn't the quick disconnect. I've tried the keg on four QD's and it leaks out of the head of all four. but when I switch it out onto another keg, it doesn't leak. has something to do with the ball lock on the keg, the the quick disconnect that is making it leak out the side. Weird thing is, when it isn't connected to the QD the keg does not leak. I'll have to transfer the beer then check the ball lock.
Leave the beer in, remove the post, check the poppit. That is far more likely to fail than the steel post. The poppit could have failed or could be seated improperly.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #14
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

just had the same problem. Was great for a while and then all of a sudden I have half a keg sitting on the floor of my keezer. I bought about 6 of these recently so I hope it's not a "batch" problem...

Old 03-06-2012, 03:58 AM   #15
atgunning
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Check the o-ring on the post, its probably broken.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #16
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't believe it's the post. The keg holds pressure just fine without the disconnect attached (no leaks). When I attach the disconnect and assembled tubing with picnic tap to any keg it comes right out of the picnic tap. I have also replaced the picnic tap as well (that was the first thing I tried). Other disconnects appear to work fine. The good news is that I was seriously considering dumping the beer anyway (my first beer dumping!).

Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #17
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgunning View Post
Check the o-ring on the post, its probably broken.
this. the o ring on the post might be too small or torn. if i am understanding you correctly, the beer comes out between the post and the disconnect, right?

i lost a keg in my keezer because the wrong o rings were sent with my kegs.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #18
Kjm06
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Did you ever figure out the problem? I'm having this same problem but I'm thinking it may be the o ring. The one that's leaking is blue and the rest are black

Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
mjdonnelly68
Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I've had similar problems with my taps.

For what it's worth, I read somewhere that the pressure for picnic type taps shouldn't be more than 5 or 6 PSI. I run my kegs at 10 PSI. Could be a contributing factor.