Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > degerminated corn grits or corn meal
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Kaiser's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pepperell, MA
Posts: 3,904
Liked 121 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default degerminated corn grits or corn meal

Well, I'm plannig to brew a Classic American Pilsner this weekend and wanted to use ungelatinized corn instead of corn flakes. But I have a hard time to find corn meal that is degerminized and not enriched, polenta or corn grits. I found polenta, but it was instant polenta for 3 $/lb.

Any idea what kind of store I should be looking for. If it's to involved I may just buy the flaked corn form the LHBS.

sorry I have not been around much lately. I'm pretty busy at work and even at home I don't find much time for HBT anymore. Hope that changes in the future.

Kai


Kaiser is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chairman Cheyco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,274
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Kai, isn't the problem with flaked corn that it stales very quickly? I've heard (and I know you have too) that polenta, while maybe more expensive, will yeild good results...

A quick search revealed this: http://www.harmonschristmashouse.com/Grits_Meal.htm


__________________
Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.
Chairman Cheyco is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Kaiser's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pepperell, MA
Posts: 3,904
Liked 121 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Corn flour or grits stale quickly if the germ has not been removed. And since this germ contains oil it should also be removed for corn that is used for brewing otherwise the head retention may suffer.

Stone ground corn flour contains the germs, but steel ground corn usually has the germs largely removed. The latter is the cheaper corn flour, but I have a hard time finding it non-enriched with vitamins and other crap I don't need in my beer.

Kai
Kaiser is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
Bobred
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1
Default

Try Bobs Red Mill Corn Grits it is degerminated corn with corn being the one and only ingredient. It is usually in the health food section in many grocery stores
Bobred is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
BigEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,452
Liked 139 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
Well, I'm plannig to brew a Classic American Pilsner this weekend and wanted to use ungelatinized corn instead of corn flakes. But I have a hard time to find corn meal that is degerminized and not enriched, polenta or corn grits. I found polenta, but it was instant polenta for 3 $/lb.

Any idea what kind of store I should be looking for. If it's to involved I may just buy the flaked corn form the LHBS.

sorry I have not been around much lately. I'm pretty busy at work and even at home I don't find much time for HBT anymore. Hope that changes in the future.

Kai
Flaked maize from the LHBS is so easy and available I wouldn't bother using anything else. If you don't want to avoid a cereal mash try a national brand like Quaker at the supermarket. I think, not 100% sure, that it's de-germed.
BigEd is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #6
EvilTOJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EvilTOJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Portland, OR, Oregon
Posts: 6,464
Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

better late than never, eh bobred?
__________________
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
EvilTOJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Beerrific's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,600
Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobred View Post
Try Bobs Red Mill Corn Grits it is degerminated corn with corn being the one and only ingredient. It is usually in the health food section in many grocery stores
Seriously?

I sure as hell hope Kai has found his grits, brewed, and drank this beer a long time ago.
Beerrific is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:22 AM   #8
hardrain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 159
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

So this is two years old but I still want to know: why ungelatinized corn instead of corn flakes?
hardrain is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:37 AM   #9
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Kaiser's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pepperell, MA
Posts: 3,904
Liked 121 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
So this is two years old but I still want to know: why ungelatinized corn instead of corn flakes?
Why does a dog lick its balls? - Because it can.

I don't like taking shortcuts and using corn grits gives me a chance to play around with cereal mashes.

Kai
Kaiser is offline
highgravitybacon Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:21 AM   #10
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,925
Liked 64 Times on 49 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
Why does a dog lick its balls? - Because it can.

I don't like taking shortcuts and using corn grits gives me a chance to play around with cereal mashes.

Kai
I always thought is was "why does a dog lick himself"?




...because he can't make a fist.


jpc is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corn Meal: DON'T Axegod Recipes/Ingredients 16 06-10-2015 09:48 PM
Corn Syrup vs Corn Sugar? Jesse17 Cider Forum 4 04-21-2012 08:11 PM
Has anybody ever used corn or corn cobs during brewing? jasno999 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 17 08-23-2011 04:16 AM
Flaked Corn VS. Corn Sugar ol' rummie Recipes/Ingredients 8 04-16-2009 03:28 PM
corn sugar vs. corn/rice flakes Cos All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 06-18-2008 03:48 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS