here is what I did and my results:
Measured out 5 gallons of water and boiled for 60 minutes.
Before cooling I measured 1.1 gallons lost
Cooled to 80 deg with wort chiller and recorded an additional loss of .29 gallons
Total loss = 1.39 gallons
The only thing left out of this process is the .17 gallons (22oz) lost in the Mash Tun to deadspace.
Beersmith still has the field for cooling loss greyed out and only updates if you adjust % which I set to 4.10% to achieve .29 gall Cooling loss.
Am I looking any better:
Equipment Profile: Rob 15 Gal SS Keg / 5 Gal MT
Batch Size: 6.50 gal
Mash Tun Volume: 5.00 gal
Mash Tun Weight: 5 lbs
Mash Tun Specific Heat: 0.30
Lauter Tun Deadspace: 0.80 gal
Boil Size: 8.15 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Evaporation Rate: 13.5 %
Calculate Boil Size: FALSE
Kettle Top Up Water: 0.00 gal
Hop Utilization Adjustment: 100.00 %
Trub/Chiller Loss: 0.25 gal
Cooling Loss: 4.10
Top Up Water into Fermenter: 0.00 gal
Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com