Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What do I do with the excess?

Old 10-09-2011, 04:11 AM   #1
New2Brewing3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What do I do with the excess?

I brewed an IPA and used a new primary bucket I got without being smart and marking the 5 gallon mark on the side. when topping off in the primary, I didn't want to have too little so I added some more...and then a little more for good measure. When I transferred to the secondary, it wouldn't all fit in the carboy so I put the extra in a growler capped and put in air lock. When I went to keg, the carboy filled the keg and I couldn't fit the growler in.
My question is what do I do with that extra?
Once I drink enough out of the keg can I pour the growler in?
If I do that can I will it effect the carbonation?
Will it cause flavor differences?
The IPA turned out great, it is delicious and very drinkable and I don't want to ruin it or change the flavor.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
joeybeer
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Make a homemade carbonator cap and force carb in 3liter Soda bottles ?? I made the cap but haven't had any overage to try it on yet .. I did force carb a beer in a soda bottle and it worked great !

Fermenter :
12 gallons of Under Pressure Brown Ale
5 gallons of Dead Guyish IPA for a competition

Old 10-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
warex
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Put a little sugar in the growler to carbonate it. Then drink it in two weeks.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Monstar
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by warex
Put a little sugar in the growler to carbonate it. Then drink it in two weeks.
I've had a Growler explode from doing this. I would recommended carving in something else.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Growlers aren't intended to hold the pressures that carbonation can create. You can put it in a 3 ltr. soda bottle add some sugar and let it carb. How much sugar, I can't say, but I'm sure someone or some searches on HBT can direct you.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
New2Brewing3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So would it hurt anything to add it to the keg when there is enough room? No one has commented on that idea. Is that because it is a bad one?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
BeerChef17
Recipes 

how much is in the growler? I dont keg personally but I cant see it effecting the taste much at all if the keg is already mostly full...might need to let it sit for a few days after adding but i think u would be fine
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty

Secondary: Empty

Bottled: Bonanza Weizen, Coffee Stout, Flying Dog IPA Clone, Momma K's Kream Ale

Next up: Smokey the Bear Honey Porter

Planning: Godzilla IIPA (Citrillo IIPA)

Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Brewing3 View Post
I brewed an IPA and used a new primary bucket I got without being smart and marking the 5 gallon mark on the side. when topping off in the primary, I didn't want to have too little so I added some more...and then a little more for good measure. When I transferred to the secondary, it wouldn't all fit in the carboy so I put the extra in a growler capped and put in air lock. When I went to keg, the carboy filled the keg and I couldn't fit the growler in.
My question is what do I do with that extra?
Once I drink enough out of the keg can I pour the growler in?
If I do that can I will it effect the carbonation?
Will it cause flavor differences?
The IPA turned out great, it is delicious and very drinkable and I don't want to ruin it or change the flavor.
So, I can't answer the growler question but I do have a question for you. Before adding water (and then a little more), did you do a SG measurement to see where your SG level was vs what was expected? Adding water will reduce the SG, reduce the bitterness/IBU level...all of which is OK if you had expected to be low based on the grain bill/hops used, otherwise you are just watering down your beer?

Old 10-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I honestly wouldn't worry about it and just pour it down the drain. Yeah I know the whole "don't waste beer" mantra, but I also know the "don't run anymore risk of infecting your beer than you have to" mantra. I follow the second one. I guess I'm just lazy, but who knows.

Just my two cents.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
New2Brewing3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
So, I can't answer the growler question but I do have a question for you. Before adding water (and then a little more), did you do a SG measurement to see where your SG level was vs what was expected? Adding water will reduce the SG, reduce the bitterness/IBU level...all of which is OK if you had expected to be low based on the grain bill/hops used, otherwise you are just watering down your beer?
No i did not measure the SG prior to adding the water. I thought about that after the fact. My SG was a little low, I think 5 or 6 points if I remember right. I think it was supposed to be 1.062 and I was at 1.056. When I checked I figured I added too much water, but didn't realize how much until I went to 2nd fermenter. This has been a learning experience in more ways than one. My main goal at this point is to figure out the best answer for my mistake.