Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Lambic too sour, age or sweetener?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:46 AM   #1
jtskagway
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lambic too sour, age or sweetener?

So I brewed a sour cherry lambic and it is like sucking on a lemon. The bouquet is nice but the taste is too sour. I put the lambic on 7 lbs of sour cherries from my neighbors tree and it is barely drinkable. Will the sour mellow with age or should I treat it like lemon aid and add a nonfermentable sugar. My wife has a bunch of Xylatol around and I'm thinking of adding that. Any suggestions would be nice.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

When I have a lambic that is too sour, which has been happening a lot lately, I like to blend in a very very dry blonde or saison to cut the acidity a bit

Ive used xylitol in a pineapple cider before and it seemed to work well, but if you want it sweeter why not just make faro out of it? Just add some sugar syrup to a glass and save all that xylitol for a cider where you want a bit of sweetness

I dunno if you did this or not, but before adding fruit I really suggest tasting the beer, if the acidity is a bit softer its a good candidate for a tart fruit, otherwise it would probably be great on its own

Old 10-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Is it bottled already? If not try a malolactic bacteria culture. That should cut some of the malic acid from the cherries which will soften the sourness. If it's bottled I don't know what to tell ya. My first try would be a malolactic wine culture first if still in a fermentor. It contains Oenococcus oeni which will convert the malic acid to lactic acid I do believe.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
Is it bottled already? If not try a malolactic bacteria culture. That should cut some of the malic acid from the cherries which will soften the sourness. If it's bottled I don't know what to tell ya. My first try would be a malolactic wine culture first if still in a fermentor. It contains Oenococcus oeni which will convert the malic acid to lactic acid I do believe.
Thats an interesting idea, it definately works with apples, but nearly all of their acid content is malic, I think sour cherries have about 2% of their acid as malic, so it could soften it a touch

Maybe get a hold of one of Al's bug blends, I remember him talking about finding some bacteria that actually metabolize the acids. What I cant remember though is if he put them in his sour blend?