Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pics of Yeast under my new scope

Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #121
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Well.....I am intrigued. I dont unnerstand the need for a scope but I like anything techy anyway. What is the purpose of using a scope. To visually identify different strains or to verify live cells percentages? How would it improve my process and what is the cost versus return on investment. I know a couple of jacked up batches could pay for that equipment, but I just need help with the need to employ that kind of gear. TIA for any answers.
Bob

Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #122
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
Can someone give me a short rundown on the cost and type of equipment I would need to get into this? I have a very old scope that I haven't touched since HS, but I doubt it would work for this. I know my local college sells used lab equipment a few times a year.
If you can do 400x and see clearly you're good. I keep watching craigslist for a good scope for myself at home. Then you'll need a hemocytometer which aren't super expensive I think they can be had for less than $100. Then lastly you'll need some dye, methylene blue is the old standard, but many places are moving to more purified and reliable dyes like methylene violet (3rax). You can buy the solutions from white labs or you can look up how to make your own.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #123
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5023 Times on 2994 Posts
Likes Given: 4201

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
If you can do 400x and see clearly you're good. I keep watching craigslist for a good scope for myself at home. Then you'll need a hemocytometer which aren't super expensive I think they can be had for less than $100. Then lastly you'll need some dye, methylene blue is the old standard, but many places are moving to more purified and reliable dyes like methylene violet (3rax). You can buy the solutions from white labs or you can look up how to make your own.
Hemocytometer on ebay was about $30.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #124
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
M

Based on the dilution and the number of cells there, I get 82.5 billion in the pouch. I only counted one cell area, so lots of possible error there. My dilution is using disposable pipettes, could be quite a bit of error there too. But the result is very close to what Wyeast states. BTW, I've measured about 150ml from a smack pack after the internal nutrient pouch is broken and mixed in. Here's the spreadsheet I made to do my counts... note the Total Cells in Flask (which in this case is the 150ml pouch).

I like the calculation that you made. What is the application are you using to make it?

I had forgotten that I have a microscope and hemocytometer in storage from some of my wife's hobbies. This thread reminded me of that, so I got them out and want to start making actual counts of my starters.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #125
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
What is the purpose of using a scope. To visually identify different strains or to verify live cells percentages?
Hard to visually tell the difference between strains of yeast from what I've seen. They don't look identical, but telling the difference is probably not the point of this. This is mostly to verify cell counts so you can pitch the correct amount of yeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
How would it improve my process and what is the cost versus return on investment.
Honestly, if you're already making yeast starters and paying attention to yeast health (oxygenation, etc). I doubt you'd see a huge improvement from this. Certainly not a good return on investment as this equipment is probably about the cost of 20 batches or more. This is a hobby, getting into the microbiology side of it is just another way to have fun with it.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #126
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
I like the calculation that you made. What is the application are you using to make it?
That is an excel spreadsheet. If you want it, PM me your email.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #127
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_ale View Post
This is an obsession, getting into the microbiology side of it is just another way to take the obsession deeper, to a more disturbing level.
Just fixed a few unclear terms there.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #128
wegz15
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

So I didn't see much activity in my starter. I wanted to take a count to see if I had growth. I had an infection. I saw bad bacteria swimming around so I ditched it.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #129
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegz15 View Post
So I didn't see much activity in my starter. I wanted to take a count to see if I had growth. I had an infection. I saw bad bacteria swimming around so I ditched it.
How do you know they were bacteria?

Old 03-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #130
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Well I got a microscope and have been checking out all my yeast. I had an infected batch about two years ago, I put the yeast under the microscope and saw the bacteria or wild yeast. I do not know what it is. I tried to get a good video of it, but my camera keeps zooming in and out on its own trying to focus.

Sorry for the bad quality, you might want to mute it as well I didn't realize I was listening to music at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjyqM...ature=youtu.be

At 44 seconds I catch a long looking thing. There are tons of them all mixed in with yeast, wish you guys could see what I am seeing that is really crap quality.