Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Ethics of customer mailing lists

Old 10-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1340 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I know opt out links are used for nefarious purpose on spam mails but I think I'd take the advice above and include an intro statement in the following newsletter explaining that if you are receiving this for the first time, it is because the email provided in a previous transaction was added to the list. I will apologize to those who have no interest in receiving future emails and here is what you click to opt out for good.

I'd hope that everyone would remember dealing with me in the past and not take it for completely unsolicited spam.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #12
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I know opt out links are used for nefarious purpose on spam mails but I think I'd take the advice above and include an intro statement in the following newsletter explaining that if you are receiving this for the first time, it is because the email provided in a previous transaction was added to the list. I will apologize to those who have no interest in receiving future emails and here is what you click to opt out for good.

I'd hope that everyone would remember dealing with me in the past and not take it for completely unsolicited spam.
Completely fair, Bobby.

If someone gets bent out of shape over a polite, professional e-mail, that's on them. Also, your rep. in the home brewing community speaks for itself.

Edit: just subscribed. Nicely done, Bobby

Old 10-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6216 Times on 4428 Posts
Likes Given: 1666

I've never received an email from you, although I'm a customer. I'd be surprised at first to get such an email, but once I "recognized" you, I'm sure I'd be totally fine with it.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Patiently awaiting my newsletter..........

Old 10-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
KCBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1495 Times on 1459 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post

That sounds perfectly reasonable. Feel free to add me to the list. I'll be in the market for another sightglass as well, so you'll be getting my address again anyway.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #16
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 84

I agree with jwright, send out an intro email encouraging signup. If they sign up great and if not then don't hound them with annoying email. Maybe encourage once or twice a year.
Just got done subscribing.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #17
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 37

while ordering my second sightglass last night I noticed that newsletter bit. I was on my phone and just wanted to place my order. I am heading over now on the laptop to sign up.

-=Jason=-

Old 10-09-2011, 05:13 AM   #18
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4996 Times on 2980 Posts
Likes Given: 4173

I don't think adding folks to a repeating newsletter is a good idea. However, I do think it would be OK sending a single email with a link, informing your customers of the newsletter.

Now where's my newsletter?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #19
cricky101
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I don't have a problem with receiving a newsletter or other similar email from a company I've done business with in the past. If it's something I want to read I will. If not, it's one click to mark it as spam and never see it in my inbox again or unsubscribe via the included links.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #20
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 194 Posts

Given that some people will be pissed about it I'd probably avoid adding people to your newsletter. Why not just add the opt-in to the order page and have it default to yes?