Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 3 Tier Tree Sculpture Plans?

Old 04-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default 3 Tier Tree Sculpture Plans?

I've got a length or two of 2" x 2" sq. tubing. A friend has small mig.

I think I've got the 2 horizontal legs/casters/cross-member and spine straight in my head. Can someone point me to a set of various views of a 3 tier tree style sculpture so I can look at the platform configuration? Actually, I am being convinced to use a cooler to mash/lauter, so what shape does that actually dictate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 04-13-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
Craig5_12
Recipes 

I've got a few pics of mine here, but it's hard to see. www.mybrewery.shutterfly.com

Old 04-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

http://www.brewzilla.nl/?brewhalla

Old 04-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 229

When you say tree; you mean like Lil Sparky's setup?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21898

Old 04-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 43 Posts

A cooler MLT really doesn't dictate the shape. You could go with something like mine, desertBrew's, or Dude's, or any other various shapes.

Here's my finished product. The dimensions are really simple. There's 24" between the levels and 10" between the forks of each tier. The base is ~ 3' x 4'. I had never welded before and it was really simple to put together.

Here's a schematic for desertBrew's.

And his finished product.

Here's Dude's. He used to use a cooler MLT, but I thought I remember reading that he may be going to a SS MLT instead. Anyway, here's a pic of his.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I think I may be the first brewer to build a brick and slate three tier sculpture!

Old 04-14-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
I think I may be the first brewer to build a brick and slate three tier sculpture!
orfy, over here you "just might be a redneck"

Old 04-15-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
HenryHill

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here's the deal. I've been torn and going back and forth on a folding, unobtrusive wood type for the garage where I only ever put one car anyway; where I have floor drains and a hose bibb for water, and just folding it up and stashing it and the keggles in a corner, under tarp.

Or, just committing the space to a full blown fabricated heavy steel frame, multi-tier, to be set up in the 'Barn'. It's a 50 x 60 insulated and finished out building with water, single utility sink, floor drains, electric, cable, and phone, that is currently just the hot rod and hot boat workshop. Their are 3 separate rooms; 1 for the boat, 1 for the mower, ATC, lawn equipment, etc, out back, and the main room that has about 30 x 40 with a 42" x 70" x 27' pit (complete with electric for lights and tools, and a sump pump at one end).

I've considered dedicating the area by the outside wall of the near bay (the one without the pit of course), and using about 16 feet of wall space for sculpture, shelving and storage of equipment, with grain going into sealed blue plastic barrels, and hops stored in the freezer.

While I have 2 kegs for brewing now and 1 more available, I have been told to just M/L in a cooler and KISS. I think I will no doubt move to at least single pump, QD dedicated-hoses type system in the future, but not to try to get to every aspect of a plumbed system in the short term. So, I was planning on suing an old 34 Q cooler and a copper manifold ( I DO have the 1/2" copper pipe now to use, but dread sawing the slits) or SS braid which is quick and easy to set-up, but I 'd have to buy plumbing connection hoses and salvage the braid from them; I don't want to scavenge my good hot rod SS braided hose!).

Okay, so I don't NEED 2" x 2" steel tube to set a cooler with 3-4 gallons of water in it onto, but just the same, I DO need the elevation and cascading steps of tiered system to avoid jumping straight to a pumped plumbing system.

I'm just trying to get a look at what options I have; as I don't want to commit to a big old rectangular tier sculpture and then have needless elevations when I go to using a pump.

THIS guy is making me think I'm smarter for just waiting on ANY type of brewing-dedicated bench or rig, and just stay red-neck kinda style until I can just build an inline stand with a pump system with valves and hoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 11-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
A_TEAM_CO
Recipes 

What material did you use for the three tiered step down shown above? The one with the scematics?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #10
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_TEAM_CO View Post
What material did you use for the three tiered step down shown above? The one with the scematics?
Aluminum, think it's 1" square; hollow in the middle but don't recall the thickness. Some guy at my work did all the welding for me which he does for his job. Materials were from work as well. Lighter in weight but still plenty strong. It's been pimped up a little more since that pic with pump and diamondboard.