Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ferm-cap/ No Foam and Hop Isomerization

Old 10-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
SgtB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ferm-cap/ No Foam and Hop Isomerization

I've read in various places that no-foam helps with hop isomerization. Has there ever been any hard numbers or formulas for this? I'm mainly curious because I do partial boil extract, and I'm curious if it's adding more bitterness to the brew than the recipe accounts for. I know most partial boil kits add a little more to help hit the IBU's. Not that more hops is a bad thing , I'm just curious if there is a formula or guideline I can follow. Thanks!

Old 10-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6233 Times on 4441 Posts
Likes Given: 1681

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtB View Post
I've read in various places that no-foam helps with hop isomerization. Has there ever been any hard numbers or formulas for this? I'm mainly curious because I do partial boil extract, and I'm curious if it's adding more bitterness to the brew than the recipe accounts for. I know most partial boil kits add a little more to help hit the IBU's. Not that more hops is a bad thing , I'm just curious if there is a formula or guideline I can follow. Thanks!
I've never heard that Fermcap-S affects hops utilization! That's a new one on me. I guess it's theoretically possible because utilization is impacted by the amount of break material, but I haven't noticed more (ore less) hot break when using FermCap at all. I still have about the same amount of break material whether I use Fermcap or not.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3649 Times on 2482 Posts
Likes Given: 2459

I've used it a few times and I can't say that I've noticed a measurable increase or decrease in Hop utilization. If there is any, I don't think it's enough to cause a change in recipe.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
SgtB
Recipes 

Thanks for the input. Guess I'm reading into it too much.