How to save money? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How to save money?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 04:26 AM   #1
xoxxx
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Birmingham, Al
Posts: 13


So I just brewed my first batch and am looking to make more. I don't want to buy a kit, is there any way for me to save money by buying the ingredients separately?

What's the best method to save money?

Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:32 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nɜrd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
MalFet's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
NYC / Kathmandu
Posts: 8,632
Liked 1473 Times on 975 Posts


Sure! Buy in bulk. Get involved in a group grain buy, and order your hops by the pound directly from a distributor. If you use extract, buy it 50lbs at a time.

Until you're ready to go that direction, though, kits are usually not any more expensive than buying the ingredients individually.
__________________
"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
xoxxx
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Birmingham, Al
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Sure! Buy in bulk. Get involved in a group grain buy, and order your hops by the pound directly from a distributor. If you use extract, buy it 50lbs at a time.

Until you're ready to go that direction, though, kits are usually not any more expensive than buying the ingredients individually.
Thanks!

Also the kit I ordered said it was possibly to re use the wheat, is this true?
I put it in the fridge just to be safe..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
MalFet
/bɪər nɜrd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
MalFet's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
NYC / Kathmandu
Posts: 8,632
Liked 1473 Times on 975 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxxx View Post
Thanks!

Also the kit I ordered said it was possibly to re use the wheat, is this true?
I put it in the fridge just to be safe..
Reuse the wheat? I can't imagine how that would be possible or desirable. Was it a steeping grain?
__________________
"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:50 AM   #5
Pascal
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 131
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


No, you can not reuse the wheat. The point is to use the sugars from the wheat. If you managed to do that the first time, there is nothing to reuse, shy of great compost.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:53 AM   #6
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AZ_IPA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Posts: 52,362
Liked 8609 Times on 6925 Posts


To save money I would use welding grade CO2

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:54 AM   #7
Pascal
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 131
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Watch this video, it illustrates what you are doing with your grains in a great way.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:55 AM   #8
Pascal
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 131
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
To save money I would use welding grade CO2
I could swear I read that this was the same as food grade! LOL

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:59 AM   #9
Pascal
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 131
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


If you're just starting out, you might not want to go bulk just yet. But I buy my hops from Hops Direct for roughly $10 a pound, a huge discount from the local. However, you have to be committed to the hops you use! Can be a bit of a trade off to consider.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:29 AM   #10
eastoak
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
oakland, california
Posts: 3,294
Liked 159 Times on 149 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
If you're just starting out, you might not want to go bulk just yet. But I buy my hops from Hops Direct for roughly $10 a pound, a huge discount from the local. However, you have to be committed to the hops you use! Can be a bit of a trade off to consider.
there are vendors selling hops in 4 oz packs, like farmhouse supply. i have 6-8 pounds of various hop varieties so i don't feel like i have to be committed to any particular one.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saving Money Brewing with Coriander Stimulus Recipes/Ingredients 9 12-09-2010 12:55 AM
Did I save CheeseFoods Ale?? Chip Recipes/Ingredients 4 02-16-2008 04:26 AM
How to save yeast from a batch? gERgMan Recipes/Ingredients 10 02-17-2007 12:32 AM
Money kingjam Recipes/Ingredients 19 07-01-2006 11:22 PM
Stretching My Yeast Money Johnwongfat Recipes/Ingredients 4 01-03-2006 05:19 AM


Forum Jump