Homemade Mash Paddle Pics - Page 15 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Homemade Mash Paddle Pics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #141
robbarwell
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Sheffield Northern England, Derbyshire
Posts: 4
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


Here you go. This is mine, made from a scrap fender stratocaster fretboard, mahogany handle




finished article


2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #142
WRBBB
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
, Texas
Posts: 5

Wow these are fancy. I have just been using a pine 1x4 for years. Nothing fancy just a plain old 1x4. Now I am thinking I better get out some power tools and dress my paddle up a bit.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:17 AM   #143
zmad2000
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Rurtherford, New Jersey
Posts: 160
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


All u need to make a nice paddle is a coping saw, drill with some 1" bits and a combination file

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #144
Lushife
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Red Bank, NJ
Posts: 706
Liked 84 Times on 64 Posts


You guys got me jealous. I'm gonna try to hit up HD tomorrow and make something sick.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #145
CoalCracker
 
CoalCracker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Macungie, Pa
Posts: 1,689
Liked 106 Times on 65 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebrewer View Post
CoalCracker
Really Nice work....but I would hesitate to put oil on it, an mash temps oil finishs can leach into the beer, and aside from other things, have adverse effects on your beers head.......Leave it Naked and get good head


Also I have to warn on the use of walnut......while is common to see spoons and bowls made from walnut, it is also a very common to see people wickedly allergic to the oils that will leach out of walnut into your beer. I work in wood, and know alot of people that can't even breathe in the dust. I always have to wear a mask even with shop filtration and dust collection.
I actually placed the oil on it before you posted... It's had a while to soak in and is completely dry to the touch. Maybe before I brew, i'll soak it in some warm water and see If I get any leaching.

I'm not too worried about the walnut. It will have very minimal contact in the brewing process. Just a quick stir to break up dough balls and I'm done. I have a feeling that it would take a bit more than a minute or two to really leech any wood oils into the beer.

Actually just did some reading.

Walnut wood and several other woods have small amounts of juglone, but much lower amounts than other plant parts, for example nuts, bark, and roots. The potential for toxicity should be minimal in cutting boards, which are dried. Juglone is not very soluble in water, so I would not expect it to come out of cutting boards and into food very easily. I would think that the concern for toxicity from this source would be minimal, but again, we have no direct research and I am not aware of any specifically on this topic. However, if you are cutting the wood and there is sawdust, then protection from the sawdust is in order.
__________________
coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #146
pabloj13
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Durham, NC
Posts: 1,553
Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker View Post
I actually placed the oil on it before you posted... It's had a while to soak in and is completely dry to the touch. Maybe before I brew, i'll soak it in some warm water and see If I get any leaching.

I'm not too worried about the walnut. It will have very minimal contact in the brewing process. Just a quick stir to break up dough balls and I'm done. I have a feeling that it would take a bit more than a minute or two to really leech any wood oils into the beer.

Actually just did some reading.

Walnut wood and several other woods have small amounts of juglone, but much lower amounts than other plant parts, for example nuts, bark, and roots. The potential for toxicity should be minimal in cutting boards, which are dried. Juglone is not very soluble in water, so I would not expect it to come out of cutting boards and into food very easily. I would think that the concern for toxicity from this source would be minimal, but again, we have no direct research and I am not aware of any specifically on this topic. However, if you are cutting the wood and there is sawdust, then protection from the sawdust is in order.
Many of us have used mineral oil with no noticeable effect on head retention. I wouldn't worry about it.
__________________

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout


Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #147
patthebrewer
 
patthebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
, allenwood, nj
Posts: 688
Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts


It's cool, I was just pointing out some common problems associated with using oil, and walnut which may or may not affect you. Totally not raggin on your work brother....first rate. Awesome!!!
__________________
Manasquan River Brewing LLC

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #148
CoalCracker
 
CoalCracker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Macungie, Pa
Posts: 1,689
Liked 106 Times on 65 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebrewer View Post
It's cool, I was just pointing out some common problems associated with using oil, and walnut which may or may not affect you. Totally not raggin on your work brother....first rate. Awesome!!!
Definitely didn't take it as that!! Just was throwing some info out there that I found for others to take note in. I appreciate the kind words!! I've been wood working since I'm about 8. My dad owns a custom furniture business so I've always been around it. It's nice having a 3000sq/ft workshop at my disposal!
__________________
coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #149
patthebrewer
 
patthebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
, allenwood, nj
Posts: 688
Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker View Post
Definitely didn't take it as that!! Just was throwing some info out there that I found for others to take note in. I appreciate the kind words!! I've been wood working since I'm about 8. My dad owns a custom furniture business so I've always been around it. It's nice having a 3000sq/ft workshop at my disposal!
See now I have shop envy!!! I own a fully stocked Pro shop but mine's not as big.....


I'm also third gen wood worker. I wonder if theres a correlation between wood working and brewing beer???
__________________
Manasquan River Brewing LLC

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #150
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Huaco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Just south of Cow Town, Tx
Posts: 1,380
Liked 141 Times on 88 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebrewer View Post
See now I have shop envy!!! I own a fully stocked Pro shop but mine's not as big.....


I'm also third gen wood worker. I wonder if theres a correlation between wood working and brewing beer???
There is something completely wrong with this statement...
(coming from a guy limping along with a jig-saw) haha...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My mash paddle Hannable1975 DIY Projects 32 02-01-2012 02:47 AM
Mash paddle/canoe paddle WestCoastHopper DIY Projects 1 09-30-2011 10:22 PM
Mash Paddle HopHead24 DIY Projects 14 01-14-2011 04:10 PM
Mash paddle SteveO44 DIY Projects 13 08-06-2010 02:11 AM
DIY Mash Paddle lustrum DIY Projects 1 06-14-2010 03:04 AM


Forum Jump