Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Hot smoking bacon

Old 10-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Butcher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Hot smoking bacon

From most of what I find online about making bacon everyone talks about cold smoking bacon. Is there anything wrong with hot smoking it? I assume this would make the bacon pre-cooked. What are the reasons for hot smoking it and reasons for not hot smoking it?

Old 10-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3027 Times on 2976 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Nothing wrong with it, it would just be different. Many people do it, but it won't be the same thing as what you are used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 10-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Rob_B
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 16

It won't hurt your bacon to hot smoke. I do it all the time with great results. And yes it does pre-cook the bacon, but it's still best to fry it up to crisp it and rendering the fat. Although I have been known to sneak a taste when slicing.

I think if you have the capabilities to cold smoke to go ahead and try it. Cold smoke is to big a PITA for me, but it will give you longer contact time with a gentle smoke. Some places will do a cold and hot smoke.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3027 Times on 2976 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
I think if you have the capabilities to cold smoke to go ahead and try it. Cold smoke is to big a PITA for me, but it will give you longer contact time with a gentle smoke. Some places will do a cold and hot smoke.
Cold smoking can be done very easily. Get a NEW soldering iron, some wood chips, and a soup can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 10-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Phillyphoodie
Recipes 

I always hot smoke to 150, though I have carelessly let it go above 185 due to distractions, with no adverse effect other than a slightly firmer texture than usual. Fry it up and prepare for the BLT of a lifetime. Also, letting it rest in the fridge before slicing makes all the difference in the world. Warm pork fat tends to really grease up the deli slicer!

Old 10-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #6
SaccharoVices
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I smoke mine at what would be considered medium heat. Ambient temps play a big role, as my smoker is outdoors. Cold smoking is technically no hotter than 70F, I believe, kinda hard to do in the summer here. Winter, maybe. My smoker temp usually doesn't get over 125F. I burn down some oak logs in a pit, then shovel a small amount of coals into the smoker and add wood chips/chunks, a big handful maybe 3 times over 3-4 hours. Ends up great. BTW my 'smoker' is a horizontal barrel type grill (mfg by Royal Oak, from Lowe's) that has a side mounted fire box.

Fat will render out during smoking if the temp gets too hot, changing the character of the meat. I dry rub mine for a week, rinse in fresh water, hang to dry overnight, then smoke, then hang for a few weeks in a temp controlled fridge at maybe 45F. The dry aging creates a really nice product, where the bacon is firm and is easily cut. The flavor concentrates and storability is greatly lengthened.

Bacon is proof that God loves us. Bacon makers unite