Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Wild YEAST Appeared!

Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
Pith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wild YEAST Appeared!

FIGHT PkMn
ITEM RUN

Pokemon joke. Sorry. Not even sure it's yeast yet anyway, but read on.

So I made up this solution of about 1 tbsp honey, 1 very small red apple (deseeded), and a shot of boiling water to make it blend more easily, blended it, covered it with Chux and a rubberband (I replaced the Chux with an ironed and cut-up old teatowel a few days ago) and left it outside last Thursday, so it's been out about 5 days. This is what it looks like now!

When I left it out, there was nothing exciting at all on top, except for like 3 bubbles in the middle where I had stirred it.

It now has a faint beery, citrusy smell while still retaining remnants of what it originally smelled like. It's not an unpleasant smell. There IS a small blob of mould in it, maybe 2 or 3 mm in diameter, so I'll just remove that with a sanitized teaspoon. I know the sticky said that before two weeks it's probably not the kind of stuff you want, but it reminds me a whole lot of my first experience and only other experience making a starter, aside from the mould.

I have no doubt that traces will remain of the mould once I've taken it out, but I figure that it looks like it's starting a colony and it's best to be rid of it before it gets too big.

So what should I do from here? I know the picture isn't great; it's from my webcam because we can't find the memory card for our DSLR. Here's another from the side. I'm not sure if you can see it, but little clumps of stuff do fall from near the surface down to the bottom, so that might be promising.

I'm happy to answer any more specific questions. The more we can learn about our little cyser metropolis, the better!

Old 10-04-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Start stepping up a starter and see what it smells and tastes like. It can only kill you once. Just joking. If it smells bad you might not want to drink any.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
Start stepping up a starter and see what it smells and tastes like. It can only kill you once. Just joking. If it smells bad you might not want to drink any.
Cool, thanks for the super quick reply. I'm planning on making a mead or cider or something in between from this, so how would I go about making a starter and expanding this ramshackle yeastshanty into some kind of a neat little subrewb? My extremely unexperienced guess would be to bring it inside, add more sugars (honey and/or apple juice), stir, and cover with cloth? Or should I use clingwrap so they get their oxygen from the sugars instead of the air and start making alcohol?

And is there any reason why the sticky's rule of two weeks would be unapplicable in this situation? I'm not sure I want to be imbibing Enterobacter and other nasties.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

(I would edit, but you might've begun replying so here's a new post, sorry if double posts are a big no-no here)

Just had another look at the sticky thread, and the initial post implies that during the Enterbacter/Kloeckera stage, there won't be any bubbles and foam, because he said the foam took 2 weeks to appear, and that's at the Saccharomyces stage, so does that mean it should be okay and that the process has just accelerated from the guidelines proposed by the sticky for the use of DME?

If so, my only other worry is the residual mould spores even after I scooped out the small colony and threw it out. It should be okay beneath the surface though, right? I might go and have a teaspoon taste of the liquid beneath the surface...

Back in a sec.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:05 AM   #5
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Where is that sticky? I'd like to give it a read. You would be doing yourself a favor to read up on yeast starters. Basically you mix up a sugar solution of a certain concentration and volume and add your yeast. Most often it is covered with aluminum foil. Swirl it around every time you walk by it. After a period of time you repeat the process with a larger volume.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:11 AM   #6
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Where is that sticky? I'd like to give it a read. You would be doing yourself a favor to read up on yeast starters. Basically you mix up a sugar solution of a certain concentration and volume and add your yeast. Most often it is covered with aluminum foil. Swirl it around every time you walk by it. After a period of time you repeat the process with a larger volume.
Thanks. I figured it would be as simple as that, but wasn't sure if the process was different for wild yeast, because I think I read that they like more complex sugars or something, but I'll assume you know your stuff.

The sticky is at the top of the Lambic forum.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/how...-yeast-101886/

Old 10-04-2011, 02:21 AM   #7
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pith View Post
Thanks. I figured it would be as simple as that, but wasn't sure if the process was different for wild yeast, because I think I read that they like more complex sugars or something, but I'll assume you know your stuff.

The sticky is at the top of the Lambic forum.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/how...-yeast-101886/
This is the internet. Assume I know nothing. But yes, I would use DME instead of sugar/honey/juice. If you have a gram scale you are set. The ratio is 10:1. For a 1000mL starter measure out 100g of DME and add water to make up a total volume of 1000mL.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:35 AM   #8
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
This is the internet. Assume I know nothing. But yes, I would use DME instead of sugar/honey/juice. If you have a gram scale you are set. The ratio is 10:1. For a 1000mL starter measure out 100g of DME and add water to make up a total volume of 1000mL.
Well, I don't drink beer with any kind of regularity (maybe 3 in the past month) or scrutiny, so I'd be a terrible judge of whether something even remotely "beer-flavoured" (I assume DME is) has a "good flavour" for a beer, so I'll just mix my culture up in some more honey/water (I'll go with your ratio), maybe with a splash of lemon juice and hope something cool happens.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:22 AM   #9
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

90mL honey/apple yeast culture
10mL lemon juice
25mL honey
1L water

We'll see how he goes!

I squeezed the foil pretty tightly around the top... should I be letting air in?

Old 10-04-2011, 03:36 AM   #10
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Normal temperature drops will pull air in. You don't want flies and what not getting in there.