Making clear candi sugar - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Making clear candi sugar

Old 10-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Jun 2010
New York City, New York
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I wanted to make clear candi sugar but instead it came out amber. According to my recipe, I was supposed to cook the solution at 260-275F for at least 20 minutes to invert the molecules, whatever that means, and then continue cooking it until the desired color is reached.

Anyway, after 20 minutes, the stuff was no longer clear but an amber color.

Anyone know what went wrong?

I want to make a triple and need clear candi sugar. Would this amber candi sugar be ok?
Swim - bike - run - repeat
Indict - convict - affirm on appeal - repeat
Brew - bottle - drink - repeat

Old 10-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Jan 2009
Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts

The temperature. The higher the darker. I chose this based on the experiments a couple people did with candi syrups (sry can't recall the names).

Light Candi Syrup:
2 Lbs Sugar
1 Cup Water
1 tsp DAP

Bring to boil on Medium. When it reaches 260*F add:
3/4 Cup Water
to stop the boil, stir gently. Continue to cool to room temp.

Now, that is not clear. It is a light yellowish color. I use that in my Tripel though. If you want the "clear candi sugar", you might as well just add table sugar, because that's all that really is. You're not getting any flavor from that.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3192 Times on 1885 Posts

Odaniel's right, for clear there's no need to "make" it, just add sugar to the boil. Many folks argue that the heat and the acidity of the wort alone is enough to invert it.
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew