Chocolate Thunder Porter - v1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap'n Jewbeard

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Irish Stout
Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
? (maybe 1.014)
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Black, a little brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Grains:

3.3 lbs light LME
3 lbs light DME
.75 lbs Chocolate Malt
.5 lbs flaked barley

Hops:

1/2 oz Cascade pellets, 60

Extras:

8 oz Baker's chocolate (alkali processed), 40 mins
8 oz lactose, 1/2 cup sugar (Priming)

Notes:

It isn't bad, but it didn't come out how I'd want it in the future. This one was formulated to be a higher-density companion to the Caramel Cream Ale, so that you could float the vanilla on the chocolate and have a black n' white cookie.

Didn't quite work out, or else I didn't pour 'em right.

Next time, I'd try a few things (and when I try them, I'll re-post):
16 oz. chocolate, boiled for 50 min
More hops - not sure what kind, but some flavoring hops might be good
More priming sugar- I was trying to keep the carbing low, but that was a mistake.

An idea might be to add some caramunich equal to the .75 of choc grain. It would really add a different character. You may want to add the Bakers Chocolate later in the boil 15 min. I always love to finish a porter with a Saaz 15 min... or a Spalt/Fuggle blend. Just an idea...happy brewing Verm:tank:

Ah, thank you sir - can you tell me what caramunich is like? I don't think I've ever used it before...

And yes, I do <heart> Saaz, mightily.

The "cara" in cara munich is for caramel. So it is Munich grain that has been kiln to add a caramel flavor. It makes for a very smooth flavor that has a beginning middle and end. The Caramunich also will add head retention and in some of my porters it has added an red hued head. I usually will use the Weyermann Caramunic III.
Happy brewing and better drinking!
Verm

You posted that you used Lactose for priming. That may be a bad idea. IIR, lactose is not fermentable at all. The only carbonation you would get is the fermentation of any sugar remaining after your bulk fermentation. I think the lactose is a good call as a flavoring sugar, but ip you are looking to prime, I wouls say use a more conventional method.

Does anyone know of any recipes using dried Ancho , Chipotle peppers, and Jalapeño peppers? A guy at a brew shop next to me gave me a recipe. I can't find a few of the ingredients. I thought if I could find some more. I might be able to join some of the recipes. Well any way here is the one he gave me:

the Mole’ Porter add ins were all dropped into the Porter Kit boil at the last 15 minutes. They were:

½ lb of Lactose,
½ of a tin (~4oz) of Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa,
6 cinnamon sticks,
6 Dried Ancho peppers (rehydrate overnight – pull the stems off and coarse chop),
6 dried Chipotle peppers (same treatment as the Anchos),
1 large Jalapeño pepper with the seeds removed – for a little milder on the heat also remove the ribs – cut into strips,
3 vanilla beans split and scraped or 1 Tbsp. of vanilla bean paste,
1 nutmeg shaved into the pot
6-8 oz of oven toasted pumpkin seeds (should be able to find them at Kroeger near the dried peppers, spread out on a cookie sheet and toast at 250-275F for 30-45min. check and stir frequently, some ovens are hotter than others.

At knock out all of this needs to make it into the primary with the wort.

At the end of 4-5 days in the primary rack it to a secondary to finish the ferment.

You can also add a little Pectic enzyme to the secondary to get the finer particles of pepper pulp to settle out.

Latest posts

Back