Helping my mom set up a church home brew club - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Helping my mom set up a church home brew club

Old 10-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
May 2011
San Diego, CA
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My mom isn't a home brewer. She's usually willing to taste any craft beers my sister, wife, or I pass her way, but at the end of the day she is a Miller Lite girl at heart. She is, however, very interested in the process of home brewing and the history of brewing in the christian church. She's gotten about a dozen like-minded people in her church together and asked me to help her set up a Church/Home Brew Group.

I'm not involved in her church other than the obligatory holidays, but they are all terrific people and I'm flattered/honored to help out with this project! I've already written a few paragraph explanations and directions about the brewing process for them, but I was wondering if anyone on here has done or heard of anything similar. And if so, could I copy some of your ideas, easy recipes, historical lessons, etc!?!?

thanks in advance!

Old 10-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Flocculation Nation
Sep 2009
Los Osos, CA
Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts

All I can say in regards to brewing for (with?) the masses is keep it simple. First thing I would do is take a consensus about types of brew these folk enjoy, then approach your LHBS and beg to check their recipe book. Chances are high in San-D (especially if you go to Hydrobrew in O-side....highly, highly, highly recommend those guys) that they'll have their own recipe book with extract conversions. I'd triple or even quadruple-up on brewing equipment and get the group separated into individual brew crews, then let them have at it.

Good luck!
Primary: nada
Secondary: emptyness
Bottled/Fridge: Sierra Nevada Celebration
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: The Abyss, Firestone 19th Anniversary Ale
Kegerator: sanitizer!
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 10-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3192 Times on 1885 Posts

I posted a few snippets of info on alcohol and christianity in this thread.
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #4

I've brewed with friends from church a couple of times - not a formal group, just brewing. One of those times, we made a brew for a 95th Anniversary celebration, it was an easy drinking cream ale