$2 fan foy DIY stirplate fans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome find, just ordered one. Now I need to get the other parts together. What are you using as the housing for the stir plate?

You can use anything really. Ive seen them in anything from radio shack project
Box's to a thin slice of 8" or 10" PVC pipe with a hard plastic or wood circle glued to it for a top.
I have mine in a cigar box.
Alll you should need is an AC wall wort and a pot

Also great for maintaining airflow inside a keezer/kegerator, or for supplying cooling air to an e-brewery control panel, or for making your dress fly up in the air when you're feeling flirty.

Thanks for the link, Brewskii!

Going to use that guide to put together my stirplate. I've heard folks recommend a resistor before the pot since they typically aren't rated for very high voltage. Does that thread go into adding resistance to the circuit?

aplus01 said:
Thanks for the link, Brewskii!

Going to use that guide to put together my stirplate. I've heard folks recommend a resistor before the pot since they typically aren't rated for very high voltage. Does that thread go into adding resistance to the circuit?

The short answer to your question is, it doesn't matter. Resistance added almost anywhere in this simple circuit will dampen current flow to the fan. I am not an authority on stirplate design, just passing on what I thought was a killer deal and had to pass it along. Glad you found it helpful.
I would search the stickie in this forum for the stirplate builds ( theres mor than one) and flesh out what you can put it together and test it. To get the fans current in the right range might take some tweaking and if your stuck, post it.'HBT will come to the rescue.
Cheers!

Back